Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I’ve been doing the “2-minutes of Cheap Insurance” for years. Gabe’s and the other SI Instructors have summed it up in practice and theory exceptionally well.

Started when I was a rookie cop, and one of our SRT snipers, (who was a former 10th SF Sniper), gave me some very valuable locker room advice about eliminating as many variables as you can. (Gear before beer.)

Back then it was doing a quick check of everything on your duty belt and on your person before leaving the locker room to start a shift. (Remember jumping up and down a few times after being fully suited up to eliminate any superfluous jingles and jangles, especially on Graves?) Same with the patrol car gear.

Later on SRT, I would go to our Command vehicle on the Monday of my work week and do a quick go-through of my kit there, especially batteries in lights and my EoTech. There were only a couple of us who did this. (We were also the guys who would put the mats out after a shift and roll, train together on our days off, pay money out of pocket and burn vacation to got to trainings, etc.)

As a retiree now it’s back to “2 minutes of Cheap Insurance.” I also keep a Canned Air in my nightstand so I can blow dust off the RMR lens/out of the emitter every morning. I still give my irons a wiggle, check the slide lock for spring tension, check the spare mag, flashlight, and my knives.

A real reactive fight can be incredibly dynamic and unpredictable. Prep and Control of everything you reasonably can before it happens will make a huge difference.

Along with training your SI-dev’d Fundamentals and Manipulations as Kata.

Shin Mo Shin. So the mind has more “bandwidth” and can focus on the unique fight at hand.

And I also thank you for sharing honestly.

These little AAR’s and open discussions are helpful reminders for all of us as to what we do every day in preparation for our daily AOR’s.

Glad you made it through.

Now apply all you have learned and get even better.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. Now, back to being dangerous !
    "When the fightin’ starts, and things look bad, and it looks like you're not going to make it, you gotta get mean. I mean plum mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up, then you'll neither win nor live. That's just the way it is..."
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Starting the day, as described, is key. Think about it every morning for about two weeks, and it will be ingrained.

I’ll also offer up that “closing out the day” is similarly important. The Army taught me “gun, horse, man” in that order. Take care of your weapon(s) first, make sure they are ready for next action. Then your vehicle. Only then, take care of yourself.