Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Langes Messer

I like some of the cold steel knives. Their Swords? Not as much. Quality is all over the place, their katana for example are decent quality but most of their stuff is very middling quality at best. And all of them are over built and heavy. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the balance is terrible. Two blades that weigh the same overall but that do not use proper distal taper will feel completely different in the hand. Just about every cold steel blade I have handled feels like a heavy, sharpened bar. Not a sword. They are tough though, and it is definitely a benefit for beginners to have a tough sword. A strong, tough blade that is going to resist the ill effects of a poor cut is just good for business.

curved blades do benefit cutting, but the effect is negligible until there is an extreme curve. A gentle curve like the katana doesn’t have a measurable benefit over a straight blade (in terms of how the BLADE cuts). Where the mild curve helps is for the person using it; the weight and balance from the curve tend to naturally align the edge of the sword. It helps with the swordsman’s mechanics, not the cutting action of the blade.

A stiffer blade will also aid in the cut; less flex in the blade means it will help pass through the target more easily. End it of course makes the blade relatively stronger and better able to survive poor mechanics and bad edge alignment. This is the strength of the katana, it is a forgiving blade and easy to cut with.

A long sword will cut just as well, but it takes more skill. A highly curved blade like a Talwar or a British 1796 cavalry sabre had better cutting qualities, but might be easier or harder to use depending on the swordsman and his skill with one vs two handed blades.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I spent nearly fifteen years fencing, and Brent is quite right. Cold Steel has a reputation for swords that are sturdy, but heavy. Very few knifemakers understand a sword - they will try to sell you a large knife without the distal taper or balance to be wielded properly. They are selling a smallsword that is about twice the weight of an original. And swords are like firearms...you get what you pay for.

My recommendation would vary with the type of sword. Arms and Armor in the U.S. is probably the best overall, but if you want a Scottish sword, I'd talk to Armour Class in the U.K.