Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I want to thank you all for the insight. It's really helped me clarify my knowledge on this choice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a PS90, and although its a neat little gun its one of the last I'd grab for problems. While compact (mine is not SBR'd, although I have thought about doing it someday), there is a serious lack of "punch". Speer has a gold dot load for it which might be better, but we're still talking roughly 22 magnum performance. I'm thinking if things continue to go south in this country, my choice is probably going to be my X95 in a sneaky bag. Compact, and not giving up anything with a 16.5 inch barrel. Add a can and its still pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    I have a PS90, and although its a neat little gun its one of the last I'd grab for problems. While compact (mine is not SBR'd, although I have thought about doing it someday), there is a serious lack of "punch". Speer has a gold dot load for it which might be better, but we're still talking roughly 22 magnum performance. I'm thinking if things continue to go south in this country, my choice is probably going to be my X95 in a sneaky bag. Compact, and not giving up anything with a 16.5 inch barrel. Add a can and its still pretty handy.
    While I don’t claim to be an expert on all things ballistic. I think you need to research your beliefs that 5.7 is of roughly 22 mag performance. The round was designed to penetrate body armor with SS198LF.

Remember Hassan killed 13 soldiers at Ft Hood in 2009 using the polymer tipped sporting rounds.

I am not saying 5.7 is a superior man killer to the .556 but it is hell and gone better than 22 mag.

Perhaps I over simplified , the 5.7 out of a pistol has roughly 700 FPS more velocity than 22 mag. All I know, I have some huge jackrabbits on my property. I've whacked quite a few with the 40 grn Vmax round and it pretty much goes in one side and out the other. The same bullet in 223 leaves flying hair and pink mist... Anyway interesting discussion

Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Perhaps I over simplified , the 5.7 out of a pistol has roughly 700 FPS more velocity than 22 mag. All I know, I have some huge jackrabbits on my property. I've whacked quite a few with the 40 grn Vmax round and it pretty much goes in one side and out the other. The same bullet in 223 leaves flying hair and pink mist... Anyway interesting discussion
    Its a function of hydro static shock. Get projectile to or above 21-2200 fps and the energy transfer creates a temporary wound cavity a magnitude greater than the bullet diameter. This is vastly over simplified but it is why the 5.56 has a different effect on the rabbit and other things. The 5.56 basically creates a temporary wound cavity that is larger than the rabbit. Its why barrel length is so important when things start getting short. Slower projectiles need to be wider and heavier to rip a bigger hole.. Again super simplified and I am far from a ballistics expert.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I think the choice of using the PS90 is IN SPITE of the 5.7 round, not BECAUSE of it. I have read accounts where its performance was impressive and also accounts where it was underwhelming; I haven’t used it on meat so I have no idea...though I think it’s a safe bet that our preferred target is the head, and if a head shot can’t be made then the plan is multiple rounds to the body...which is no different than any other caliber we would choose.

The benefit of the PS90 is its handling characteristics. Light, maneuverable, ambidextrous, easy to switch shoulders, easy to use one handed, easy to shoot and zero recoil, easily used by weaker members of the family...caliber arguments aside it is the equal if not better than any other shouldered weapon for moving through structures.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I think the preference in a short barreled AR is to chamber it in 300 BO with a supersonic round.

5.56 in a short barrel has well elaborated disadvantages, but is much more interesting when combined with a suppressor.

Bullpups would be suitable but require regular training for serious use.

The 9mm SMG/PCC/pistol is ok but I would opt for a rifle round if possible.

In a time of expensive ammo, dry fire is your friend.

Plus another on what Shooter Ready stated.

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Ready View Post
    I think the preference in a short barreled AR is to chamber it in 300 BO with a supersonic round. If not using a suppressor I suppose. Unless your main consideration is body shots on attackers in body armor.

5.56 in a short barrel has well elaborated disadvantages, but is much more interesting when combined with a suppressor. Agreed, but some seem to think once you lose that 3in of barrel suddenly it becomes an anemic round.

Bullpups would be suitable but require regular training for serious use. You lost me on this one. As opposed to??? As a owner of multiple bullpups this makes no sense to me. Are you saying that because you are training with something else like an AR that you personally would need to train in order for you to be proficient with a bullpup?

The 9mm SMG/PCC/pistol is ok but I would opt for a rifle round if possible. Agreed.

In a time of expensive ammo, dry fire is your friend. Most definitely.

I prefer 300 supers even when suppressed. Hollywood quiet isn’t my highest priority.

300 subs have their place, but it’s a lot more specialized IMO.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas