Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Vertx tourist bag with PDW and G17 for the long walk home. Not rifle caliber but I think still a decent force multiplier in a small light package. G26 AIWB
    suarez Tourist 1.jpg
    Suarez Tourist 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GemJedi View Post
    Vertx tourist bag with PDW and G17 for the long walk home. Not rifle caliber but I think still a decent force multiplier in a small light package. G26 AIWB
    suarez Tourist 1.jpg
    Suarez Tourist 2.jpg

I was able to play with recover tactical brace kit on a G34 with an rmr and was pretty impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I prefer 300 supers even when suppressed. Hollywood quiet isnít my highest priority.

300 subs have their place, but itís a lot more specialized IMO.
    Definitely agree with Brent. I've shot deer with subsonic .308 (which would be similar to 300B0) and the results were far from impressive. If I have to punch a whole in someone, I want supers. Think back to all the videos we've seen of handgun shootings vs the Kenosha Kid. One rifle shot and the perps were done.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    In a short AR .300 blk is the correct answer.
    This is also what I believe after testing shorties in 5.56 and 300, so unless size and mag/ammo compatibility are paramount to your decision then the 300blk wins every time in every category. Your mileage may of course vary.

As I have posted in the past, the choice I made is the AR pistol in 40 S&W. Why 40 many ask. For me, logistically it makes perfect sense. The 155 grn contract HST's from the 8.5" barrel out perform the 5.56 from the same barrel length and is magnitudes quieter. It is quite a bit quieter than the 300 AAC as well.

This does not replace my 5.56 carbine, it suppliments it.

As Gabe has pointed out, there are different tools in the same box.

IMO, a 556 with Heavier then 70 gr bullets and a 10.5 inch barrel is a stone killer inside 75 yards. An EVO, with 147 gr bullets inside buildings has fewer issues with bouncers and is more forgiving to your unprotected ears. An Amphibian ( one of my favs) is an absolute resolver of disputes at handgun distances but requires training to make the best use of it. You also have to be carrying a big boy card to use it effectivily for more than 1-2 rounds. Again its a motivator to train with it not just buy it and leave it alone.

For zips in the wire, I grab my small chest rig and AR, when Im not really sure whats coming. I have other options for specific situations if they arise.

Someone made a comment about bullpups. Ive been carrying my Tavor for 4-5 years now I think. But even after all those years the AR platform is a faster reload, and manipulates differently enough Im still faster with reloads and manipulation than the Tavor. 35 years with an AR, 5 years with a bullpup. It does show and IM honest enough to admit where I am less capable. YMMV
    Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

War is not moral...fighting of any sort, is not moral. It is about killing the adversary. So here is the rule. Do what you need to do to win...have a ready explanation to justify it according to whatever rules you are supposed to be playing with...work only with people you can trust or work alone...then stick to your story and keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
    As I have posted in the past, the choice I made is the AR pistol in 40 S&W. Why 40 many ask. For me, logistically it makes perfect sense. The 155 grn contract HST's from the 8.5" barrel out perform the 5.56 from the same barrel length and is magnitudes quieter. It is quite a bit quieter than the 300 AAC as well.
    I question your data. Yes, 5.56 takes quite a hit when you shorten a barrel down to 8.5", but I suspect it still outperforms .40 S&W. I haven't dug up the numbers, and I'm willing to be corrected, but my initial response to that was a guffaw.

Additional thoughts are (a) I wouldn't cut a 5.56 that short; I'd leave it to at least 10.5", and (2) if I really demanded an 8.5" barrel, then I'd choose .300 BLK for the reasons laid out above. But even if I set aside those issues, and I just look at the precise question that you laid on the table, I think you're working with a flawed foundation of data. I don't think .40 beats 5.56 even in an 8.5" barrel. My mind is open to be convinced otherwise, if you can point to data that supports your proposition.
    Virtute et Armis

I own both a .300 Blackout 8.5” AR pistol, and a Scorpion that’s about to be SBR’d. We know the only acceptable “safe” way to carry an AR that’s not slung on your person is loaded mag, bolt closed on an empty chamber. AR’s are not drop safe and the bolt can release easily from a bump if it’s carried locked back.

Personally, I find it challenging and awkward to rack the charging handle on an AR when it is extremely close to my chest, as it would be inside a vehicle or when trying to move it from a bag to sling discreetly. Yes, it’s a training issue I need to practice more with.

However, I’m wondering if it is considered “acceptably safe” (by military use, history, or whoever determines such things), to carry the scorpion with a loaded mag and the bolt to the rear via the charging handle in its locked back position. It’s a much simpler motion to thumb or slap it down and load the chamber IF 1. It can’t be easily be released by bumps/jostling/etc in bag or vehicle carry, and 2. The weapon is considered “drop safe” should you end up with one in the chamber unintentionally. From what I’ve found, it does appear to have a firing pin block.

Even if its not, it is much easier to me to rack the charging handle on the scorpion when it’s right against my chest.
    Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 11-27-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I own both a .300 Blackout 8.5” AR pistol, and a Scorpion that’s about to be SBR’d. We know the only acceptable “safe” way to carry an AR that’s not slung on your person is loaded mag, bolt closed on an empty chamber. AR’s are not drop safe and the bolt can release easily from a bump if it’s carried locked back.

Personally, I find it challenging and awkward to rack the charging handle on an AR when it is extremely close to my chest, as it would be inside a vehicle or when trying to move it from a bag to sling discreetly. Yes, it’s a training issue I need to practice more with.

However, I’m wondering if it is considered “acceptably safe” (by military use, history, or whoever determines such things), to carry the scorpion with a loaded mag and the bolt to the rear via the charging handle in its locked back position. It’s a much simpler motion to thumb or slap it down and load the chamber IF 1. It can’t be easily be released by bumps/jostling/etc in bag or vehicle carry, and 2. The weapon is considered “drop safe” should you end up with one in the chamber unintentionally. From what I’ve found, it does appear to have a firing pin block.

Even if its not, it is much easier to me to rack the charging handle on the scorpion when it’s right against my chest.
    I will save you lots of time and trouble. When you place the weapon in your car, carry bag, etc., just go ahead and charge it. The four rules of firearms safety take care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I will save you lots of time and trouble. When you place the weapon in your car, carry bag, etc., just go ahead and charge it. The four rules of firearms safety take care of the rest.
    That is a horrible idea.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have time to awkwardly charge your gun in a car or something because the bad guys are that close you should be pulling the gun on your belt and dealing with it until you have a change to get the bigger one up and running.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015