Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I get the immediate threat at your window scenario, just use your pistol. I was referring to the driving through downtown, Antifa/BLM types walk out into the roadway blocking traffic. You’re boxed in and decide to exit your vehicle. Nobody has attacked you yet but you want your rifle/smg slung on your person under a jacket and ready to go if things pop off.

Yes, it’s a specific scenario, but it seems to be by far the most likely use for a “truck gun/PDW” these days

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I will save you lots of time and trouble. When you place the weapon in your car, carry bag, etc., just go ahead and charge it. The four rules of firearms safety take care of the rest.
    To each their own, but I’m not going to carry a rifle in a bag with a round in the chamber. For one, they aren’t drop safe and some type of impact could cause it to fire. Unlikely, yes, but it can happen. I’ve also found muzzle up carry in the passenger seat floorboard to be the most effective way to deploy the weapon. Just pull up and into your lap, rather than trying to pivot it 180 degrees with the dash there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    That is a horrible idea.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have time to awkwardly charge your gun in a car or something because the bad guys are that close you should be pulling the gun on your belt and dealing with it until you have a change to get the bigger one up and running.
    I can assure you, that is not a horrible idea. What is your experience to say otherwise? And I mean real experience, not what you have read on a thread somewhere? I couldn’t even begin to count the times this has been done by every agency I have worked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I will save you lots of time and trouble. When you place the weapon in your car, carry bag, etc., just go ahead and charge it. The four rules of firearms safety take care of the rest.
    Yep. This would be my answer too, cased or uncased
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    To each their own, but I’m not going to carry a rifle in a bag with a round in the chamber. For one, they aren’t drop safe and some type of impact could cause it to fire. Unlikely, yes, but it can happen. I’ve also found muzzle up carry in the passenger seat floorboard to be the most effective way to deploy the weapon. Just pull up and into your lap, rather than trying to pivot it 180 degrees with the dash there.
    You can do it however you want, but to be honest, it sounds like you are too afraid of the gun to properly utilize it. You’d probably be better to stay at home. Guns are inherently dangerous but, if you need a rifle, and you need it readily accessible in the cab of your vehicle, your probably gonna want to have it loaded.

And you should probably have the muzzle pointed is a safe (to you) direction....

At least that’s what I saw on YouTube.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-27-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I question your data. Yes, 5.56 takes quite a hit when you shorten a barrel down to 8.5", but I suspect it still outperforms .40 S&W. I haven't dug up the numbers, and I'm willing to be corrected, but my initial response to that was a guffaw.

Additional thoughts are (a) I wouldn't cut a 5.56 that short; I'd leave it to at least 10.5", and (2) if I really demanded an 8.5" barrel, then I'd choose .300 BLK for the reasons laid out above. But even if I set aside those issues, and I just look at the precise question that you laid on the table, I think you're working with a flawed foundation of data. I don't think .40 beats 5.56 even in an 8.5" barrel. My mind is open to be convinced otherwise, if you can point to data that supports your proposition.

Guffaw all you want. We can cherry pick data all day, but this is where I am coming from;

A 55 grain 5.56 from an 8.5" bbl is roughly 2100 fps +/-.
    A 155 grain JHP from an 8.5 " bbl (contract ammo) is 1350 fps.

Considering that the 5.56 works well @ 3300 fps and not so well @ 2100 fps and the 40 works very well inside that velocity envelope, the longer barrel of the 40 essentially bumps it up to full power 10mm country. It performs very well.

You can't just look at energy figures. You also have to get past the " its a rifle " dogma, because it is only a rifle when fired from a rifle.

Not to mention the port pressure and just how LOUD short AR's are.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I get the immediate threat at your window scenario, just use your pistol. I was referring to the driving through downtown, Antifa/BLM types walk out into the roadway blocking traffic. You’re boxed in and decide to exit your vehicle. Nobody has attacked you yet but you want your rifle/smg slung on your person under a jacket and ready to go if things pop off.

Yes, it’s a specific scenario, but it seems to be by far the most likely use for a “truck gun/PDW” these days
    More and more I am leaning towards just using my carry pistol for everything outside the home. Not gonna exit my car, not gonna be boxed in. Offensive driving if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
    More and more I am leaning towards just using my carry pistol for everything outside the home. Not gonna exit my car, not gonna be boxed in. Offensive driving if need be.

A pistol with an endostock in a small bag with spare mags and trauma kit might be a good idea. Those you can carry in an unobtrusive manner if you have leave the car and walk or jog out of there.

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I think unless you're a dude who must maintain absolute secrecy about your armament, and who works in a corporate or similarly NPE style environment, there is no reason to carry such a niche weapon.

I carry an SI RMR'd G19 all the time, and keep an M4 profile AR in my truck, all the time. A pistol is a pistol, and a rifle is a rifle. Both are specific tools meant for different tasks. Neither can replace the other in its intended roll.

If you're the former type of dude, a braced glock in a brief case would a good idea. A braced B&T TP9 is probably an even better option IMO. If you're not that type of dude, spend money on your rifle and pistol, rather than a moderately useful tertiary system. JMO though.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I think unless you're a dude who must maintain absolute secrecy about your armament, and who works in a corporate or similarly NPE style environment, there is no reason to carry such a niche weapon.

I carry an SI RMR'd G19 all the time, and keep an M4 profile AR in my truck, all the time. A pistol is a pistol, and a rifle is a rifle. Both are specific tools meant for different tasks. Neither can replace the other in its intended roll.

If you're the former type of dude, a braced glock in a brief case would a good idea. A braced B&T TP9 is probably an even better option IMO. If you're not that type of dude, spend money on your rifle and pistol, rather than a moderately useful tertiary system. JMO though.

I am not so sure there is just one or two weapons for the car. It really depends on what tasks you want the weapons to fulfill. The shortened pump shotgun is weapon that has been discussed on this forum for example.
    It also depends on how much of an outlaw you intend on being and what legal environment you have to contended with as to what you carry. A GI M4 with the fun switch is a weapon I would like to own and carry. But I do not own one and for sure will not in a world still with rule of law be carrying such in my car. But there are some might.