Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    Yondering, this is my first attempt at casting 9mm. Ive done .45 acp but also found seating depth to be highly critical when loading for an xdm and a 1911 both. Ill post some more 9mm pics in the AM. I am not familiar with the recoil spring test.

And the whole purpose of this project is to have practice ammo. I have brass and can still get primers by the case. Projectiles are getting harder to find and run at least .10 each and i can do my cast for .01.
    The main thing to understand with cast bullets is that your seating depth is driven by the driving bands and not the nose of the bullet. You can only have a certain amount of driving band outside the case (depending on your specific barrel and it's throat dimensions), and any more than that prevents the round from fully chambering. It's the same thing as seating a certain distance off the lands in precision rifle rounds, but the OAL numbers measured from base to nose will be a lot shorter than those for typical jacketed bullets.

The recoil spring test:
    Point your Glock straight up vertically (empty chamber & no mag). Dry fire and hold the trigger back. Now rack the slide and ride it back forward gently (don't let it slam forward); if the recoil spring is good to go the slide should close all the way. If the spring is weak, the slide will stay back slightly until you release the trigger. If it's really weak, it may retract a little bit when you pull the trigger again.
    The thing to understand here is the recoil spring and striker spring work against each other; pulling the trigger compresses the striker spring (~5 lb in a stock Glock), which causes the slide to push on the recoil spring by that amount. Your recoil spring has to be stronger than the striker spring by enough to keep the slide closed. It's also worth noting that the ratings for recoil spring weights (13 lb, 15 lb, etc) are at the compressed position with the slide back, they are much lower with the slide forward in battery.

Is the firing pin channel liner(#35) installed? https://www.glockpartslist.com/glock_g17_parts.htm

That might account for the primer strike shifting in relation to "center."

Many know about the firing pin spacer sleeve (#6) with the notch in it...but don't know about the plastic sleeve it slides into (that may or may not be present, especially in a slide build) to prevent metal-to-metal contact...

Here's an install video so you can see the part: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Just guessing...
    Bob
    a.k.a. StealthNeighbor
    CRG-2 / CRG-3 / CRG-4 / HITS-8 / HRO-5 / RGF-1

"Tell me and I forget.
    Show me and I remember.
    Involve me and I learn."
    --
    quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood.
    I have absolutely no issues going out in exactly the same manner."
    --
    unknown (lots of variants)