Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Is Sig Sauer Poised to Dominate the Handgun Market?

I ask this question after recently handling an M17.

Unlike the opinions in a past thread that documented frequent "bugs" that need to be worked out, I found the Sig to be a a decent weapon. The reason I'm throwing the question out there is that as I look back to early reviews, they weren't that great. I can remember the early days where Glocks were replete with problems. My own Gen-1 G17 broke a recoil spring guide rod after less than 100 rounds. But Glock persevered and dominated the American market for two decades.

I think Sig is poised to dominate the American handgun market for the following:

• The adoption of the M17/18 by the armed forces will be a tremendous magnet for the American consumer.
    • The pistol will develop battlefield credentials.
    • Law Enforcement will be enamored with the "features" like an external ambidextrous safety, loaded round indicator etc.
    • Cost seems to be comparable to the Glock.

I see the list of state agencies going to the M17 is growing and growing. As Law Enforcement goes.... so does the American consumer.

Not holding my breath
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Dominate? I doubt it. Increase market share, maybe. Sig won the military contract on cost...I would not be at all surprised to find that they were selling the M17s and M18s at zero profit, as a loss leader. Figuring that they could make it back on the civilian and law enforcement markets. Glock still commands a premium in the marketplace. The military contract merely puts the P320 into a solid second place, over the S&W M&P.

I will say that Glock needs to start thinking in terms of a chassis-based design. I think the flex inherent in polymer limits what can be done with triggers - though any striker-fired gun will have a second-class trigger, at best. The real fun will be seeing who can do a really first-class job getting a red dot onto a P229...or a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Dominate? I doubt it. Increase market share, maybe. Sig won the military contract on cost...I would not be at all surprised to find that they were selling the M17s and M18s at zero profit, as a loss leader. Figuring that they could make it back on the civilian and law enforcement markets. Glock still commands a premium in the marketplace. The military contract merely puts the P320 into a solid second place, over the S&W M&P.

I will say that Glock needs to start thinking in terms of a chassis-based design. I think the flex inherent in polymer limits what can be done with triggers - though any striker-fired gun will have a second-class trigger, at best. The real fun will be seeing who can do a really first-class job getting a red dot onto a P229...or a 1911.
    Agreed on the chassis system. I think that’s where we are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Agreed on the chassis system. I think thatís where we are headed.
    Idk, its kinda like cell phones at this point. They can do so much stuff, people stopped caring.

Unless some great new technology changes the ammo market, I doubt much will ever change.

When cartridge guns first came out, for many many years percussion revolvers continued to be used because the cartridge didnt offer much of an advantage.

At least not worth buying a new gun.

Near future... no.

But I think that they're in a position to capture a large part of the Law Enforcement market. With that, the general public consumer is right behind.

Glock is and has been continuing to dominate the market, so I'm not sure where you are only counting 2 decades. Aside from that, no, Sig is not poised to dominate anything, only to maintain a foothold as the competitive "other". Bells and whistles aren't what sell for small gov't or DoD contracts, and while Sig did get the M17 contract, there are more than enough departments that still won't touch anything reminiscent of the P320 platform. Does it echo Glock's early years? Of course, but you are ignoring a key fact that Glock has developed beyond those issues, while Sig simply reintroduced those, along with a couple new ones, decades later when the technology at hand should have prevented them. Now couple that with inconsistency of their trigger across the board in terms of feel, from "kind of like a Glock" to the tangible equivalent of the sound of a wet paper towel being thrown at the ground, and you simply have a competitor with a cult following of people known not to be willing to open their wallets to actually improve on the system. Nothing new, nothing great, certainly nothing that's going to be the new "king of the mountain".

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    The real fun will be seeing who can do a really first-class job getting a red dot onto a P229...or a 1911.
    I have a Beautifully milled Sig M11 done by Suarez and Co....putting face shots at 50yds no problem from the draw.
    5KbqTYtEQSCP7zjihXPPWQ.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cacti Rat View Post
    Is Sig Sauer Poised to Dominate the Handgun Market?.
    No.

Don't see them dominating at all. From a design standpoint, while the chassis idea is good, there are too many small parts. Sig is famous for doing several re-designs before they get it right. Not interested in being their beta tester. From a support standpoint, they are a mess right now. No parts available from anywhere. A friend is very connected to them, and is fielding calls from agencies and others trying to get parts from him. (I have owned a complete 320 system and liked it. The aforementioned friend could get me all sorts of parts/other grips frames, etc. Decided to go back to the Glocks I had. Nothing is perfect.)