Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I just found this thread. This shit is depressing as hell! Cant I just retire, qualify yearly to keep up my status and move on to the next chapter of my life! WTF! 6 monthes out and thinking about this crap. Typical Govt. in action.

Your agency may have more intelligent practices. I have seen "generic" qualifications that said the retired LEO was qualified to carry semiauto pistol and/or revolver, no make or caliber specified.

Until the last admin, under the loathsome toad, that's what ours stated.

I maintain my state CCW as well, and it has no limitations as to what handguns I can carry.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Your agency may have more intelligent practices. I have seen "generic" qualifications that said the retired LEO was qualified to carry semiauto pistol and/or revolver, no make or caliber specified.

Until the last admin, under the loathsome toad, that's what ours stated.

I maintain my state CCW as well, and it has no limitations as to what handguns I can carry.
    I have several retired coppers per year requesting annual quals for their leosa status. Lots of visitors over the winter seeking warmer climates. If I have time I run them through the TCOLE minimum standards, if I dont I send them to the local range where a CCW instructor runs them through the minimum tcole standards and signs off on the qual form.

Heck even our internal quals are to type of weapon Safe/Striker, SA , SA/DA and not to specific weapon. Quals are also pass/fail with no scores recorded beyond that, though our minimum is 80%
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

My LEOSA card says "handgun."

I guess it doesn't include my Tac13.

Unlike my CWP, it allows me to carry at a private school, a bar, or a sporting event.

-- ML

In Nevada the LEOSA qual is the same as the CCW qual. When I did the LEOSA qual with my old agency they required a form with the firearm make model and serial number. So for the last few years I have got my LEOSA qual through the local sheriff's dept and they don't require all the additional info just the qual shoot which can even be done by one of their approved CCW instructors.

My former employer interprets “type” as either revolver or auto-loader, and so I check each box, and show up with one of each. As for the weapons I would actually carry, well, the LEOSA does not offer any exemption from local ammo capacity restrictions, so I would heed the laws of the less-free states, if traveling to/through there.

Notably, the language of that silly federal safe school zone law makes it a best practice to also have a state-issued carry license, in addition to the LEOSA qual card.

The FOP case, against NJ, is still unsettled, so I would take extra care if passing through NJ.
    Have Colt, will travel.

My LEOSA has no such limits.

I rotate between a Springfield EMP 9mm,and a Ruger LW Commander 45acp.