Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which LEOSA handguns?

The federal LEOSA application limits you to three handguns. Your local agency, as mine does, may limit you to two.

This largely has to do with interstate travel and NPE where authorized--my local carry permit is unlimited as to what I carry.

Assuming access to Beretta 92 series, SIG P22X series, Glock, and Smith and Wesson M&P, plus J and D frame snubs, which to choose?

9mm, .40, .45 and .38 Special are the ammo choices (I may have cut my teeth on a wheelgun, but the snubs would be for backup only, and I'm not carrying a sixgun into, say, LA.).
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I'm not a Glock fan -- in fact my EDC is a BHP (I'm retired and carry what i want) -- but if the decision was mine, I'd go with Glocks in 9 mm or .40 S&W. Why, Glocks are everywhere and used by everyone. Parts (springs, mags, etc.) would be in stock and on hand no matter where you go if you needed them.

Just to clarify, these would be carried post-retirement, generally while traveling out of my home AO.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

G19 and G43
    Or....
    P226 and P365

Your carnage may vary
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis

Assuming you pick 3; Glock 9, one of the DA 9’s and one of the j frames. Covers the most roles/ niches.

Choosing only 2; I’d be tempted to go with one of the DA full size guns for the option to carry without a holster and one of the j frames.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

P226 or P229 and a 642/442
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

You sure you're following that right? To the best of my knowledge, you don't qualify by serial number, nor by make/model. You qualify by "type", i.e., revolver or semi.

The law 18USC926C says you need to meet "the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm."

Not model.

Edit: the gurus at Police magazine say I'm even too restrictive. They point out that "type" is defined in 921: pistol, rifle, shotgun. Regardless, I don't think you legally need to limit yourself like this.

https://www.policemag.com/342465/und...20or%20shotgun.

And, what federal application? There is no such. Your LEOSA quals are your agency retired ID and your annual qual sheet.
    Last edited by Sam Spade; 06-18-2020 at 11:59 PM.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

LEOSA
    The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows qualified current law enforcement officers and qualified retired law enforcement officers to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.
    That sounds like a good deal.

So, what’s the problem?
    LEOSA requirements may seem pretty straightforward. However, the amendments and the language of the law have caused many problems to LEOs, some of which have been arrested and indicted. In addition to the ambiguity of LEOSA’s language, the implementation of the law varies by state.
    In this article, we will provide LEOs with an overview of how LEOSA is being applied in each state.
    Explained here: https://daiglelawgroup.com/leosa-sta...ving-problems/

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    You sure you're following that right? To the best of my knowledge, you don't qualify by serial number, nor by make/model. You qualify by "type", i.e., revolver or semi.

The law 18USC926C says you need to meet "the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm."

Not model.

Edit: the gurus at Police magazine say I'm even too restrictive. They point out that "type" is defined in 921: pistol, rifle, shotgun. Regardless, I don't think you legally need to limit yourself like this.

https://www.policemag.com/342465/und...20or%20shotgun.

And, what federal application? There is no such. Your LEOSA quals are your agency retired ID and your annual qual sheet.
    I was under the same impression. Qualify with a revolver and a pistol. Then carry any revolver and pistol you own.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierofTheLaw View Post
    I was under the same impression. Qualify with a revolver and a pistol. Then carry any revolver and pistol you own.
    I'm looking at our application form, which is generated by our agency. And which can be readily edited.

One more attempt to f*** with you on your way out the door.

Vale et omnia quae.