Default G17 magazine interchangeability ?

I currently own a nice 2nd Gen. G17. Over the years, I have accumulated a bunch of FML mags, both factory and PMAG. I recently find myself casting eyes at a new 5th Gen. G17, and am wondering about the interchangeability of my magazines with the new gun. Can someone enlighten me ?

I have a gen 4 and gen 3 mags fit. That’s as far as my knowledge goes.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I don't see why they won't work. I've never heard of a gen5 specific magazine.

I think the issue is the mag release. Gen 4 and gen 5 have the cutouts on both sides. Gen 3 down only has it on one side.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Are you right handed?

If you buy Gen5 and leave the mag release configured for a right handed shooter, any generation Glock mags will be fully compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63 View Post
    I've never heard of a gen5 specific magazine.
    Gen 5 mag: 1) Compatible with R/L Mag release set-up 2) Orange follower (easier to see fill level thru back windows) 3) Extended Floor Plate. Floor Plate extends forward more. Because the Mag Well is Flared, stripping a magazine holding the sides is harder. Extended front floor plate for easier stripping from the front, especially on those sub-set of Gen 5's with the front cut-out at the base of the grip.

newer gen mags (fyi mags are somewhere around 10th gen) are compatible with older gen frames, however, mags for gen 1 and 2 frames, may not be compatible with gen 4 or 5 frames due to cutout size and placement

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

...wandering eyes will get you "Glock'd" everytime. I am presently suffering from the same affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by LV_MD View Post
    3) Extended Floor Plate. Floor Plate extends forward more. Because the Mag Well is Flared, stripping a magazine holding the sides is harder. Extended front floor plate for easier stripping from the front, especially on those sub-set of Gen 5's with the front cut-out at the base of the grip.
    Yea... CBP went even further with their bases.

I didnít like it at first, since they didnít get OFO an option for the larger 47 (I have big hands)... but it does make grasping the magazine A LOT easier (ours donít have the front cuts, like are present on the 19M). I took the magazines down after I qualified... look like Gen 5 other than the larger base.

Only other thing I can say, loading the new Gen 5 19 magazines was very easy by hand. When I got my 30S magazines (it is a Gen 3 gun, but got somewhere when Gen 4s were showing up), some even are still difficult to get the last round after using them for years.