Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beretta 92

"G" is the decock-only slide lever, returning to the "Fire" position once the lever is depressed.
    The "D" refers to the reduced power spring out of the "slick slide" DA only version: no slide lever at all.
    Neither has a true safety.
    The latest iteration is the 92X, available with an "F" true slide safety, or a "G" decocker, or a 1911-style frame-mounted true safety.

And thanks. Works in progress-- the gun and me.
    Last edited by Papa; 05-30-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:16

The LGS where I work got in a bunch of 92FS pistols in assorted conditions from a security company that was shutting down. I was able to get one for a song (less than three bills) and sunk some money into getting Langdon Tactical parts for it. Now, I have a Beretta 92 I have less money in that it would take to buy a new one, with an astoundingly good DA trigger, short, crisp reset, and a match-grade barrel.

I've worked a lot with Glocks and love them, but the Beretta was a pistol I used when I was in the US Border Patrol and I've always liked them. With the Langdon upgrades, I'm genuinely in love with this pistol and how well it shoots!

Langdon 92.jpg
    Last edited by 6Gunner; 06-01-2020 at 09:30 PM.
    "I'd rather live in a violent tumultuous, but free land, than in a controlled, safe, but oppressed one." - Gabe Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by 6Gunner View Post
    The LGS where I work got in a bunch of 92FS pistols in assorted conditions from a security company that was shutting down. I was able to get one for a song (less than three bills) and sunk some money into getting Langdon Tactical parts for it. Now, I have a Beretta 92 I have less money in that it would take to buy a new one, with an astoundingly good DA trigger, short, crisp reset, and a match-grade barrel.

I've worked a lot with Glocks and love them, but the Beretta was a pistol I used when I was in the US Border Patrol and I've always liked them. With the Langdon upgrades, I'm genuinely in love with this pistol and how well it shoots!

Langdon 92.jpg
    That's a picture worth showing twice. The short trigger is too short for me, but the grips are perfect, as is that hammer and the trigger bar. Is that an Elite barrel?
    Nice shooting regardless.

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

Vale et omnia quae.

Ok, I just convinced myself, for the third or fourth time in my life, that I am not smart enough to run a carry piece with a manual safety, and unlikely to get enough training time any time in the near future to compensate for my lack of intelligence.

So, what's the deal on a conversion to "G" (decock only)? Is this the sort of thing that ought to be done by a name gunsmith? (The SI store, which would have been the easy button, doesn't seem to offer services for Berettas.) Or is this more like something that the guy in the back room of the local bait shop can do? Is it even within the abilities of an occasional home hobbyist? (For reference, I was able to put a new trigger return spring, although it took nine times longer that it should have.)

You can do this at home. I've done three.

You will need the right roll pin punches and starter punches. The "G" kit is available from Beretta ($50), LTT, MGW and probably other sources.

There are several YouTube tutorials, and if you watch them carefully all the way through while you're waiting for the parts to come, and work in a clean, well-lighted space where you can recover a spring or plunger that gets away, you will be good to go.

Wear shop glasses, take your time and keep smiling.

Beretta actually supplies spare springs and plungers in the kit.

Easy button: buy a 92X "G" model. Depending on model and capacity of the shipped magazines: $529.99 to $798.00, and that was just one online site. You get the "G" and dovetailed front and rear sights on the 92X, too, so you can swap in high visibility or night sights.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-08-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Vale et omnia quae.

I did it on my kitchen table. It's not hard. Mrgunsngear on youtube has an excellent video showing exactly how to do it.
    Sharkey

Much appreciated, gentlemen, thank you. And, yes, @Papa, there is a 93X in my future, probably a Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Much appreciated, gentlemen, thank you. And, yes, @Papa, there is a 92X in my future, probably a Compact.
    The 92X Compact is available without rail, as I recall, and that, properly breathed upon, would be a fine EDC if you favor a TDA.

Vale et omnia quae.