Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Swords of Northshire huh? I’m going to have to check this out then. I have a Ronin Dojo Pro katana, and while it’s well balanced, it’s a bear of a sword for longer sessions because it’s a Dotanuki blade. LOTS of blade-presence! Doing kata with it for a half-hour is an intense entire body workout by itself. It’s the sword I hand to people who think that all Katana are featherweight laser beams. Cures them of that notion the instant they have it in their hand.
    Yes, sword work can be a great workout.

Funny that people think katana are light...most are actually pretty blade heavy by design. And something else most people don't realize is that katana are pretty short, really short in comparison to even average European two handed swords. There are a lot of one handed swords that are longer than the standard katana.

I've never handled a Ronin Dojo Pro, how do you like it?

I've picked up a few Ryujin blades for the dojo the last couple years, I'm quite impressed with them. Good blades, very nice fittings, and a great value. They have all been nice quality but the weight of the blade hasn't been totally consistent (which isn't necessarily bad). I've got one that's surprisingly light and handy for a katana, out of character as compared to most I've handled. I have yet to cut with them though.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Yes, sword work can be a great workout.

Funny that people think katana are light...most are actually pretty blade heavy by design. And something else most people don't realize is that katana are pretty short, really short in comparison to even average European two handed swords. There are a lot of one handed swords that are longer than the standard katana.

I've never handled a Ronin Dojo Pro, how do you like it?

I've picked up a few Ryujin blades for the dojo the last couple years, I'm quite impressed with them. Good blades, very nice fittings, and a great value. They have all been nice quality but the weight of the blade hasn't been totally consistent (which isn't necessarily bad). I've got one that's surprisingly light and handy for a katana, out of character as compared to most I've handled. I have yet to cut with them though.
    I don’t have much experience with katana in general, so I don’t have much of a baseline to compare the Dojo Pro to. It is by far though, the heaviest and most beastly katana out of the few I’ve handled. It’s a monosteel blade, made of 1060 carbon. I actually bought it about 7 years ago, before I knew much of anything about swords, based solely on its reputation for being tough and able to handle abuse. It lived up to its reputation; before I knew better, I used it to cut down I don’t know how many 2” to 3” saplings. Most of those were NOT clean cuts, but the sword is no worse for the wear, the edge is still just as sharp as it was out of the box, and the fittings are still tight to this day. I did manage to scuff the blade up pretty good and destroy the ito wrap in the process, and it now wears a very basic paracord wrap under a layer of tennis racquet tape. Not traditional in the slightest, but functional. It’s a heavy brute of a katana, but it’s well-balanced, and it can CUT. In case I didn’t say it enough already, did I mention that’s it’s heavy?

These days, I’m more of a saber guy, and I’ve been studying Polish and Hungarian saber manuals. I’m beginning to learn some of the German longsword material alongside that, so the Katana stuff has been put on the back-burner. The Dojo Pro still has a place on my wall though.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

What saber do you have?
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

The only saber I currently possess is a Cold Steel 1917 saber. It handles like garbage because it has no distal taper, but it’s great for going through some of the practice routines slowly. It really builds up the wrists and forearms, and makes other one-handed swords feel light in comparison. I have a Zombie Tools D’Capitan on order because I want something with a more modern design. Reviews say it handles well for a saber so I’m looking forward to that. At some point I’d like a proper historical example of a U.S. 1840 heavy cavalry saber.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    yes, though I usually see it referred to as Kriegsmesser. Same same. Big fricking knife. :)
    Doing some research into the old manuals for the Kriegs knives and found a few videos that show this 'knife' offense/defense is quite interesting:

I have to wonder how these Kriegs blades stood up to real swords of the time, from different countries....
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Doing some research into the old manuals for the Kriegs knives and found a few videos that show this 'knife' offense/defense is quite interesting:

I have to wonder how these Kriegs blades stood up to real swords of the time, from different countries....
    cool. I see a lot of Jujutsu/Aiki stuff in there. I will review this more when I have some time.

Messers and falchions had quite thin blades. I know they definitely were not intended for use against hard armor. They were quite sharp and worked we’ll against clothing...some think they were really intended for use against peasants and non-professional militia. I would guess they are a self defense weapon rather than so much of a war weapon (no/little armor).

I think swords in general got a lot more beat up than people realize. Steel in steel damages things quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised that a lot of swords needed replacing after a single battle.

Even test cutting swords today, which are almost all better steel than what they had in the past, can get damaged just cutting hard stuff (wood or bamboo) or even tatami cutting mats, if one isn’t careful with edge alignment.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Brent, when I saw the throws and joint locks, I thought you would find this interesting, particularly since these long knives were the tools of the common man.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School