Hybrid View

Default Today’s Practice

With all due respect to Dundee, this is a knife.

A111D310-98F8-4C5B-8D32-78FCC9C12207.jpeg

Sword isn’t the most practical thing for today of course. But there is still value in the training. And it’s not a bad workout.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Brent, is this a Grosse Messer sword?
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Brent, is this a Grosse Messer sword?
    yes, though I usually see it referred to as Kriegsmesser. Same same. Big fricking knife. :)
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Love it.

War knife.

Who’s the maker?
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Nice. I did a fair amount of sword work in my Bujinkan days and still have a couple.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

That looks like a lot of fun. I would love to see a video!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    yes, though I usually see it referred to as Kriegsmesser. Same same. Big fricking knife. :)
    Being a 'knife', people who were forbidden from carrying swords could protect themselves from the 'others' of the day.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Doing some research into the old manuals for the Kriegs knives and found a few videos that show this 'knife' offense/defense is quite interesting:

I have to wonder how these Kriegs blades stood up to real swords of the time, from different countries....

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Doing some research into the old manuals for the Kriegs knives and found a few videos that show this 'knife' offense/defense is quite interesting:

I have to wonder how these Kriegs blades stood up to real swords of the time, from different countries....
    cool. I see a lot of Jujutsu/Aiki stuff in there. I will review this more when I have some time.

Messers and falchions had quite thin blades. I know they definitely were not intended for use against hard armor. They were quite sharp and worked well against clothing...some think they were really intended for use against peasants and non-professional militia. I would guess they are a self defense weapon rather than so much of a war weapon (no/little armor).

I think swords in general got a lot more beat up than people realize. Steel on steel damages things quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised that a lot of swords needed replacing after a single battle.

Even test cutting swords today, which are almost all better steel than what they had in the past, can get damaged just cutting hard stuff (wood or bamboo) or even tatami cutting mats, if one isn’t careful with edge alignment.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 10-05-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typos
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Brent, when I saw the throws and joint locks, I thought you would find this interesting, particularly since these long knives were the tools of the common man.