Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Today’s Practice

With all due respect to Dundee, this is a knife.

A111D310-98F8-4C5B-8D32-78FCC9C12207.jpeg

Sword isn’t the most practical thing for today of course. But there is still value in the training. And it’s not a bad workout.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Brent, is this a Grosse Messer sword?
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Brent, is this a Grosse Messer sword?
    yes, though I usually see it referred to as Kriegsmesser. Same same. Big fricking knife. :)
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Love it.

War knife.

Who’s the maker?
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Nice. I did a fair amount of sword work in my Bujinkan days and still have a couple.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

That looks like a lot of fun. I would love to see a video!

Is that an Albion Knecht? That’s one of my “grail” swords. It’ll be a long time before I can justify the cost though. A lot of German longsword techniques work well with the two-handed messers.
    Last edited by MesserMan; 05-05-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Is that an Albion Knecht? That’s one of my “grail” swords. It’ll be a long time before I can justify the cost though. A lot of German longsword techniques work well with the two-handed messers.
    I wish it was. No, this is from Swords of Northshire. Bought before the Chinese virus. It’s decent quality but not in the same class as Albion. The blade is good quality. fittings are a little rough but solid and workable. It’s balanced nicely, feels good in the hand, not as tip heavy as a katana (which is good or bad depending on what one wants). It’s the closest thing to a European katana, which was what I wanted given I have more background with kenjutsu than anything HEMA. Don’t know how it actually cuts but hopefully can do some this week.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    yes, though I usually see it referred to as Kriegsmesser. Same same. Big fricking knife. :)
    Being a 'knife', people who were forbidden from carrying swords could protect themselves from the 'others' of the day.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I wish it was. No, this is from Swords of Northshire. Bought before the Chinese virus. It’s decent quality but not in the same class as Albion. The blade is good quality. fittings are a little rough but solid and workable. It’s balanced nicely, feels good in the hand, not as tip heavy as a katana (which is good or bad depending on what one wants). It’s the closest thing to a European katana, which was what I wanted given I have more background with kenjutsu than anything HEMA. Don’t know how it actually cuts but hopefully can do some this week.
    Swords of Northshire huh? I’m going to have to check this out then. I have a Ronin Dojo Pro katana, and while it’s well balanced, it’s a bear of a sword for longer sessions because it’s a Dotanuki blade. LOTS of blade-presence! Doing kata with it for a half-hour is an intense entire body workout by itself. It’s the sword I hand to people who think that all Katana are featherweight laser beams. Cures them of that notion the instant they have it in their hand.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- Keep your rifle by your side.