Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol vs bears

I've trekked a lot of miles through bear country, and spent a fair amount of time waiting for a sow and cubs to move along so that I could finish my hike, but admittedly never actually had to shoot one. My anecdotal observations, though, of those who have succeeded and those who have failed is this: Carry the gun that you shoot well and comfortably. Shifting from a 9mm Glock to a 10mm Glock isn't that much of a change. But shifting from a G19 to a S&W .500 is too far a departure. Choosing a radically different platform--with which you spend far less time training--is trading speed and accuracy for additional energy. That's a poor trade.

I have a G20, that was bought for the express purpose of hiking and biking in the Alaska wilderness. But it ended up becoming the gun that I loaned to friends when they came up. The gun that I carried for thousands of miles through the Chugach Range was either a G17 or G19. That was the gun that I always had with me, so it was there for spontaneous hikes and casual woodland walks. And I knew that, if called upon, I could deliver with that gun.

On bear spray: personally, I'll skip it. In about half of my bear encounters, the wind was blowing too much for spray to be effective. (The wind was, in fact, the reason that the bear hadn't smelled me and moved on before I got close enough to see her.)
    Virtute et Armis

Bear spray is just like any bullet ; there is nothing magical about it. It is just another tool to be used in some situations that keep things from escalating where you don't want it to go, be it a sow with cubs, a pair of just full grown boar bears just looking for mischief, or just a massive boar with a tooth ache and a mad on. In some situations it is the perfect solution however the most common mistakes are using it too soon and aiming it too high.

DSC02124.jpg
    “The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
    – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Don't use a gun! It could make the bear extra mad when when it kills you anyway. Morons

Also I suddenly want to know how well a flamethrower would work for bear defense. Besides impractical. Lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I have a G20, that was bought for the express purpose of hiking and biking in the Alaska wilderness. But it ended up becoming the gun that I loaned to friends when they came up. The gun that I carried for thousands of miles through the Chugach Range was either a G17 or G19. That was the gun that I always had with me, so it was there for spontaneous hikes and casual woodland walks. And I knew that, if called upon, I could deliver with that gun.

Similar conclusion as well but went with a G21 converted to a .460 Rowland. Bonus is I can use .45 ACP, downside is the muzzle-brake's size.

Next step is having SI NP3 the slide.

a friend sent me this from a different but local source. In it the victim's friends said he usually carried his pistol with him but not that time. One of his hands was chomped off. None of the national stories I could find mention either one.

https://www.mtpr.org/post/grizzly-ma...kcountry-guide
    Repetition is not truth.

"Hope is not a method and wishes are not plans."
    Gen. Carl Vuono, USA

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist."
    Charles Baudelaire

KRG, SUT, PSP, RG