Thread: Pistol vs bears

Default Pistol vs bears

Here is a newer ammoland article about actual recorded cases of folks with pistols across caliber spectrum facing attacking bears of various species.

Wasnít sure exactly where to put this; and please take it for what itís worth but it does reinforce my long held opinion that having a gun on your person of about any flavor is leagues better than not having one of any caliber on your person at all times.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/upd...#axzz6HkOrvfmz

Growing up in the UP and northern MI I have two memories that really stand out , one a friend of a neighbor killing a black bear that was mauling his dogs with a .45 ACP and an older potato farmer near Iron mountain MI killing a bear in his barn trying to get in the feed bin with a 22 mag pistol. Both bears already on the muscle and fighting or ready to fight. Flukes? Two guys with balls that clank when they walk, maybe of just the ability to put metal on meat when the stakes are high, I donít think 45 acp or 22 mag as bear stopping rounds.
    Side not also the largest wild hog Iíve ever seen not farm raised , not in a high fence pay to hunt but a no shit hogzila was killed with a head shot by a 22lr. That hog had already tore up a dog and become tangled in a garden fence so he was pissed and in fight mode, not a behind the ear slaughter house shot.
    Think you guys can appreciate using what you have to put down the bear hog or bad guy.

With everything it’s shot placement....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Many years ago one of my wife's uncles had a hog get through the fence. That hog ran the woods/trails for several months that summer. Several times they hear of people seeing it somewhere and they'd load up and go after it, with no luck. It was a ghost. Tear into someone's feed house/chicken house, garden, garbage but be gone by the time they got there.

One day I was driving up on the mountain (single lane twisty/curvy road from town to the mountain top) when I saw it rooting around in a garbage dump at a wide spot in the road. I drove on up to my in-laws house and mentioned seeing the hog 1/2 mile from the house. They called the uncle, he showed up s few minutes later with a rifle and asked me to take him to the dump.

He was a WW2 veteran and disabled coal miner, like a lot of the older guys in the area. Walked with a severe limp from the coal mine injury.

What rifle did he have in his hand? A Winchester 190 .22. Really?? I know he had lever action Win. .30-30's and even one Savage pump .30-30. But he brought a .22.

Before I dropped him off up the road from the garbage dump I asked he why he brought the .22 vs. one of the deer rifles he hunted with in the fall. I had trouble understanding the reply, "Ain't never squeelt one yet." I asked him to repeat it and still didn't understand what "ain't never squeelt one yet" meant. I asked him what that meant. His replay was, "When I shoot'em they die so quick they ain't even got time to squeal." Bullet placement, if you've got the skill and presence of mind.

I drove back down there at dark to pick him up and, of course, the hog was never seen. As usual it was there and gone, like it had been doing all summer. We got it later, but that's another story. And yes, that old guy was crazy tough.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    Many years ago one of my wife's uncles had a hog get through the fence. That hog ran the woods/trails for several months that summer. Several times they hear of people seeing it somewhere and they'd load up and go after it, with no luck. It was a ghost. Tear into someone's feed house/chicken house, garden, garbage but be gone by the time they got there.

One day I was driving up on the mountain (single lane twisty/curvy road from town to the mountain top) when I saw it rooting around in a garbage dump at a wide spot in the road. I drove on up to my in-laws house and mentioned seeing the hog 1/2 mile from the house. They called the uncle, he showed up s few minutes later with a rifle and asked me to take him to the dump.

He was a WW2 veteran and disabled coal miner, like a lot of the older guys in the area. Walked with a severe limp from the coal mine injury.

What rifle did he have in his hand? A Winchester 190 .22. Really?? I know he had lever action Win. .30-30's and even one Savage pump .30-30. But he brought a .22.

Before I dropped him off up the road from the garbage dump I asked he why he brought the .22 vs. one of the deer rifles he hunted with in the fall. I had trouble understanding the reply, "Ain't never squeelt one yet." I asked him to repeat it and still didn't understand what "ain't never squeelt one yet" meant. I asked him what that meant. His replay was, "When I shoot'em they die so quick they ain't even got time to squeal." Bullet placement, if you've got the skill and presence of mind.

I drove back down there at dark to pick him up and, of course, the hog was never seen. As usual it was there and gone, like it had been doing all summer. We got it later, but that's another story. And yes, that old guy was crazy tough.

Growing up our extended family would butcher up to 20ish hogs a winter. We used 22 shorts to dispatch the hog. Of course they were in a pen and distances were in feet not yards. Hit one right and it would drop right where it stood with out a sound. Roll it over and "stick" it so it would bleed out. I shot many and never squealed one! You drew a line from the left eye to the right ear and the right eye to the left ear, aim where the mine crossed on the head. Uncle Loren could shoot them behind the ear but I never tried that. Did it to a few cows tho!

NOW DON'T get me wrong, I am NOT saying I would chose a 22 if confronted by a bear or a wild hog! (Or even a tame hog who was pissed)..
    Last edited by Ragsbo; 03-26-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Don’t bring a pistol to a bear fight.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Nice resource.

Some detail on Phil Shoemaker: https://americangg.net/alaska-man-st...graphic-image/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Growing up our extended family would butcher up to 20ish hogs a winter. We used 22 shorts to dispatch the hog. Of course they were in a pen and distances were in feet not yards. Hit one right and it would drop right where it stood with out a sound. Roll it over and "stick" it so it would bleed out. I shot many and never squealed one! You drew a line from the left eye to the right ear and the right eye to the left ear, aim where the mine crossed on the head. Uncle Loren could shoot them behind the ear but I never tried that. Did it to a few cows tho!

NOW DON'T get me wrong, I am NOT saying I would chose a 22 if confronted by a bear or a wild hog! (Or even a tame hog who was pissed)..
    My family in the old days used .22 rimfire rifles for slaughter also. Cost of the round, meat destruction, and safety issues all played a role in the choice of a .22 and everyone had a .22.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Read the Alaskan Fish and Game studies they have done and the stats they have filed, it would give a way better idea of bear stopping rounds
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM

Danish Sirius Polar Bear Patrol uses 10MM Glock 20. Therefore, I'd go with that.
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!