Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So how have the phys-ed classes been going?

That's actually a more or less serious question.

Kettle bells, Infidel resistance bands, pull up bar, and sprints. I'd say it's going pretty well
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

With the knots and lashings, maybe include how to tie a tie. Can ship extra ties if needed.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Have they already read 1984 and Brave New World? Those seem quite pertinent these days. I also always suggest Atlas Shrugged, but its size seems to scare off most people.

Musashi is a big chunk of material. I assume (hope) you are reducing the focus to select portions. You could do the same with Von Clausewitz and Van Creveld. Reading this stuff can be pretty dry, and a teenager probably doesn't yet possess the analytical ability to really digest much of it. What they'll really learn from is hearing you talk about it, critique it, and even point out those areas where you disagree. Something that kids should learn earlier is that it is okay to disagree with the experts. Just because someone wrote the book does not make them omniscient.

It sounds like you've got a good time ahead of you.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    You could do the same with Von Clausewitz and Van Creveld. Reading this stuff can be pretty dry, and a teenager probably doesn't yet possess the analytical ability to really digest much of it.
    WRT Clausewitz, get the Howard/Paret translation. All others are obsolete. Read Books 1, 2, and possibly 8. Also read the commentaries on those portions. The rest is of interest only if you aspire to be a Napoleonic staff officer.

I would add Sir Julian Corbett's "Some Principles of Maritime Strategy". It's on Gutenberg, so it costs nothing. Mahan is also available, but I regard Corbett as more useful. I'd suggest Thucyides' "History of the Peloponnesian War", but that needs to be gone through with a fine-tooth comb...about 90% of it is dross. If you decide to tackle it, the first third contains all the useful stuff.

If you are willing to pay the money, it's hard to beat David Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon". It's 50 years old, but still the definitive history of the Napoleonic Wars.

Also, read Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". Do not bother with "The Hobbit", it's at a far more childish level. But LOTR is a masterpiece of English literature, a work of prose written with the skills of a poet. Kipling is always good. Get Shakespeare's plays, let the kids read the parts.

Read the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. Carefully. Question for the student - research all the reasons for independence given.

Also work math and foreign languages. Especially math, a knowledge of higher mathematics always comes in handy. And plane geometry may not be practical in itself, but it's a superb training ground for deductive logic.

And I concur 100% with Lawdog on the importance of teaching the kids not to accept "expert" authority blindly. Check the data yourself.
    Last edited by Mike OTDP; 03-26-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added more reading materials

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    I think there's another book brewing here...bring it
    Nope. Make the boys write it. Just for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Read the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. Carefully. Question for the student - research all the reasons for independence given.
    Might I add The Federalist Papers for additional insights into the reasoning given to portions of the Constitution...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    I'd suggest Thucyides' "History of the Peloponnesian War",
    Oh, excellent thought! Worth it just for the description of how Athenian society broke down during the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    Bypassing restraint and resistance to interrogation is on the schedule
    I was sharing your post with my wife and as we were laughing she said "can we come too"? Love you brother. God Bless and guard you and your family.
    Is God Politically Correct? If not should you be? - F. Huff -- God is unchanging in His love. He loves you. He has a plan for your life. Don't let the newspaper headlines frighten you. God is still sovereign; He's still on the throne. - B. Graham -- No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority. - Robert A. Heinlein