Default CQB - Which would you rather be?

I follow a few different firearms YouTube channels. One is Active Self Protection, mostly so I can see examples of streetfights.

Recently the host posted a video of cqb training at Gunsite and I couldn't help but compare to a video Greg shared not long ago.

I know there are differences: one is probably beginner instruction (though it is a 250 course, I assume that's an intermediate course); the other advanced; one is 1 man, the other team; but these are worlds apart in so many ways.

One looks like experienced masters using speed and violence to take a structure. The other looks like a novice.

Which one do you want as an *instructor*?

Or which would you want to practice yourself? It's clear to me.

I've found the more I learn the more discriminating I get with where I get information from.
    The active self protection guy is not someone I follow.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Like I said, his channel is a good place to find badge cam and video captures of shootings, fights, robberies, active shooters, etc...which I find useful. So I skip the ads and bail after the video before the "analysis".

That was such a fun class. If any of you EVER get to train CQB with Greg, DO IT.

That was one of the best training experiences I’ve ever had. And I have done a lot.

The cool thing about that video, Greg and I were out the night before class sharing a drink. We started talking with Lisa and learned she shot and edited videos. And BOOM, we had a videographer after a couple hours over beer. Once in awhile you get lucky.

ok maybe that came out wrong...
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

250 is the entry level course. And it's not CQB, it's building clearing. Apples and oranges.

That said, SI teaches superb material.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    250 is the entry level course. And it's not CQB, it's building clearing. Apples and oranges.

That said, SI teaches superb material.
    This. 250 is their entry level Pistol course. You can take this with minimal experience. As in bought the gun, shot a box at the local range, and that’s it. It drills fundamentals. The very basics of “room/house clearing” is taught towards the end of the 5-day class, with the Instructors walking the students through.

I started my “outside of Law Enforcement” training at Gunsite. I had already been through a lot of CA POST Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Classes, FBI SWAT courses, the old HK MP-5 course with Phil Singletary, DT/Baton/Taser Instructor, etc.

My first class was 350 Pistol which is their intermediate/advanced pistol course. (I had to get their Director of Training to “allow” me in. Took top gun and got their “E” ticket/Expert cert with a bone stock Glock 23 and iron sights.) Also took their 223 Carbine and 260 Shotgun. Top Gun and “E-Tickets” in both. All of these classes taught the very basics of one-person room/house clearing. (Never ideal, but often necessary.) Lots of pieing open doorways/windows; slow, methodical movement, etc. Very much like what I was taught in the Police Academy in the mid 1990’s.

The 350 Pistol class had one SIMS FoF scenario that was pretty obvious and easy to win if you weren’t a complete idiot.

Overall, good classes that taught Solid fundamental operations and high levels of marksmanship. Proactive fighting and killing are downplayed, but not verboten like NRA classes.

I was offered an Instructor position and Ed Stock wrote my letter of recommendation to come aboard. I felt pretty cool.

Then I got my ass to Prescott for “Complete Pistol Gunfighter.” I had read some about Gabe Suarez and his classes in the gun rags. Some good, some bad. What I took from most of the “bad” was that Gabe and SI were teaching the real, ugly truth of gunfighting and killing, and the PC gun writers didn’t know how to handle it.

SO I went to this class. I had trained with Brent before in an AK Operator class put on by Sonny Puzikas and Jim Fuller, so I knew he was seriously GTG. Met Greg and Gabe for the first time.

And was completely, totally impressed and blown away at what they were teaching and the philosophy behind it.

Gunsite and many of the older schools that grew from them are like the Basic Police Academy or your undergraduate degree.

Suarez is like Advanced SWAT or graduate school. I’m sure the Military Veterans here might make the comparison of Basic Training/AIT vs a Special Operations Qualified training course.

Anyway, for the last 5 years and since I retired from LE 3 years ago, with the exception of one Northern Red class ALL my training has been with Suarez International.

And I need to get my ass to some of Greg’s CQB course next.
    Last edited by Marco Innocenti; 03-20-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    Gunsite and many of the older schools that grew from them are like the Basic Police Academy or your undergraduate degree.

Suarez is like Advanced SWAT or graduate school.
    Marco nails it.

I would add that grad school is for those who have completed undergrad (not a direct correlation but closer than most would like to admit).