Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default THE NEED TO THINK, ANALYZE, AND PROBLEM SOLVE

After reading through some recent discussions here and reading some comments on facebook I think I have come to a realization of what the American martial world (guns, knives and fists) really wants. They want freedom from the need to think, analyze, and problem solve. That is amazing as that will never be attained...ever. A fighter, above all other things, needs these three and I despise the word "need". Yet that is what all training should be intended to develop.

In order to think, analyze and problem solve, training should reduce if not eliminate the need to do that with you and and your skills, attributes, equipment, etc. Training should leave no question about what you can do, as well as what you should do...or what the "best practices" are in a given situation. Programmed best practices are a fact of life for all serious professionals from pilots to infantry personnel, and from doctors to mechanics. If this happens, this is what i will tend to do. These are memorized actions. In our context they relate to weapons handling, as well as to responses against an adversary whether proactive or reactive. Our tactics should reflect that as well.

For those who called in sick that day - Tactics is the art of maneuvering against an opponent and toward a specific objective (source is Sgt. Gary Rovarino - LASD SEB).

But all the training does is solidify your physical abilities and conceptual understanding so your mind is free of that and able to - wait for it - THINK, ANALYZE (the problem presented) and PROBLEM SOLVE.

And it is the same before the bang, during the bang, and after the last bang. We have developed the mental kata in flowchart form so that your tactical thinking gives rise to your mandatory after action explanation of events. Just as you work your dry drill in stationary format, piecemeal moving format, kata-template format, live fire and force on force to free the mind from the requirements of the fight, so does thinking through the flowchart allow the mind to do that.

We exercise the body in that way, but the mind and its active extension, the imagination, must be exercised in the same way so that you are able to look at a situation from many angles and examine many possibilities outside of the flowchart framework.

Having a well exercised imagination allows the crafting of specific after actions, based on the actual requirements of the event beforehand, so that when the time comes, you will be able to, again, think, analyze and problem solve rather than be stuck and trapped with one limited view of the event at hand.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And for those who have difficulty with the above, whether they are just starting on the path or have been walking it many years...

Read as widely as you can.

Work consistently to put yourself in other people’s shoes.

Ask more questions.

Share opinions not to win arguments but to drive deeper understanding and clarity...you may not agree with the conclusions of others but you might start to understand WHY they hold that opinion.

Ask yourself why you hold your own opinions. Drive clarity in your OWN thinking.

Build your imagination. Think about circumstances outside your own realm of experience. What would you do given X circumstances? What would you do in those same circumstances if you were a cop, an 80 year old, a woman, a child, etc. And why?

Learn from the experiences of others. Approach that experience with a curious and humble mind. Do not immediately dismiss that experience as inapplicable to you. It may seem inapplicable at first but try to grasp what is useful to your circumstances.

Exercise the mind as much as your muscles. Don’t always choose the easy answer.

Practice deciding quickly and decisively, because that is necessary. But examine that decision when you have the luxury of time, not as second guessing yourself but in the spirit of learning and becoming stronger.

This forum is a gift because it allows you to practice all those things. Use it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

This forum is a gift because it allows you to practice all those things. Use it.[/QUOTE]

This right here. This forum is a gold mine and is my number one source for martial information. I was in my late 20s when I discovered this place and now that I’m in my mid 40s it has been a major part of my life in terms of knowing how to train, not only the physical aspect but the mental aspects. In combination with the knowledge, gear, and development of mindset from you guys, I am leaps and bounds a more deadly warrior and an asset to my family and community. Thank you men.

Imagination and the ability to think abstractly are key. With that, the most important question one can pose to himself (or herself) is "What if ______________?" This leads to thinking about the almost infinite number of variables that can evolve from a given tractical situation, whether it is a car jacking, home invasion robbery, active shooter, or mentally ill woman who does't want to go to a Psych. Eval.

It doesn't matter if you are John Q Public, Constable BoB, GI Joe, or Wilbur the test pilot. You need to imagine the what if's, and think abstractly - not all situations have a "linear" solution.

I'll say it again for emphasis: Imagination and the ability to think abstractly are key.

Critical thinking is an area where most people are sorely lacking. Especially the younger people. So many of them have never been taught how to think. They have no concept of the Socratic Method, the Scientific Method or even what they are or how they are applied. I bet if you asked kids these days about Logical Reasoning they would think abductive reasoning would try to justify kidnapping someone.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    This forum is a gift because it allows you to practice all those things. Use it.

Sometimes I admit to getting jaded and the cynicism takes hold...tired of the free-loading asshats that infest our country and sometimes stop ny to drop an excrement of personal opinion. But posts like this always bring me back. We started this in 2003. In three years it will be twenty years. I am amazed.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    And for those who have difficulty with the above, whether they are just starting on the path or have been walking it many years...

Read as widely as you can.

Work consistently to put yourself in other people’s shoes.

Ask more questions.

Share opinions not to win arguments but to drive deeper understanding and clarity...you may not agree with the conclusions of others but you might start to understand WHY they hold that opinion.

Ask yourself why you hold your own opinions. Drive clarity in your OWN thinking.

Build your imagination. Think about circumstances outside your own realm of experience. What would you do given X circumstances? What would you do in those same circumstances if you were a cop, an 80 year old, a woman, a child, etc. And why?

Learn from the experiences of others. Approach that experience with a curious and humble mind. Do not immediately dismiss that experience as inapplicable to you. It may seem inapplicable at first but try to grasp what is useful to your circumstances.

Exercise the mind as much as your muscles. Don’t always choose the easy answer.

Practice deciding quickly and decisively, because that is necessary. But examine that decision when you have the luxury of time, not as second guessing yourself but in the spirit of learning and becoming stronger.

Can't tell you how many calls I've had where I ran a million different scenarios through my mind while en route. It's saved my ass SO many times.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Several of us have been blessed beyond measure due to this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Sometimes I admit to getting jaded and the cynicism takes hold...tired of the free-loading asshats that infest our country and sometimes stop ny to drop an excrement of personal opinion. But posts like this always bring me back. We started this in 2003. In three years it will be twenty years. I am amazed.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Several of us have been blessed beyond measure due to this place.
    Truth!
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Truth!
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy