Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I and my family are real dog lovers, and have had some great ones. Dogs “usually “ love me but there are exceptions. Having lived a lot of my time in rural Texas stock country, I know what damage a dog pack of any variety can do to livestock and people. I have killed more than a few threatening dogs in my time. The last time was over 20 yrs ago and past the statute of limitations. College kids dumped their dogs in our part of the county upon graduation due to inconvenience and they tended to pack up as dogs will and attack livestock. One of a pack of eight came into my father’s yard and growled at my five yo son but backed off when the yard dogs advanced. It scared everyone and I went about eliminating the pack after I had notified the Sheriff. It took close to a year due to litters and sorry assed college kids but I got em all.

Another time, Dad’s neighbors son had five fighting dogs (pits) that decided our stock pen was the Happy Hunting Grounds. I killed all but one with a Chiefs Special.

I currently live in a Mayberry type place and when walking, have to deal with unleashed dogs occasionally. My walking stick works very well most of the time, but if it doesn’t, or isn’t applicable, then I have the G19 w/RDS for bad pups n people.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

I don't remember what animal it is that kills the most humans worldwide, I think it's gators/crocks, whatever. The animals that kill the most humans in North America are dogs by a huge margin. Informal anecdotes from trainers I've spoken to and my own experience leads me to believe that people who carry guns draw on dogs more often than on men.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    I don't remember what animal it is that kills the most humans worldwide, I think it's gators/crocks, whatever. The animals that kill the most humans in North America are dogs by a huge margin. Informal anecdotes from trainers I've spoken to and my own experience leads me to believe that people who carry guns draw on dogs more often than on men.

For vertebrate killers of man snakes are very high. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...BB63C5C86FCC1D

By Rachael Bale, ANIMALS Executive Editor

After humans and mosquitoes, snakes kill more people on Earth than any other animal.

More than 100,000 people die from venomous snakebites every year. The snakebite crisis is so bad that the World Health Organization has put it on its roster of deadly neglected tropical diseases—along with rabies, dengue, and leprosy.
    One of the worst-hit locations is sub-Saharan Africa, where up to 30,000 deaths from snakebites are believed to occur each year. But some doctors and snakebite experts say the true toll may be double that. A major factor is a severe shortage of the only medicine that can neutralize the toxins of dangerous snakes: antivenom. Complicating matters is that many victims, for lack of money or transportation, or because of distrust of Western medicine, don’t go to hospitals—or don’t get there in time. Staff at many health centers are insufficiently trained to treat snakebites, and even if the drug is on hand, it’s too expensive for many victims. Additionally, most of the more reliable African antivenoms need to be kept refrigerated to stay stable and effective. With frequent power cuts, even in cities, keeping them cold can be nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I've read that if the dog is latched onto someone else, picking up the dog by its rear feet is effective. The dog let's go because he's much more vulnerable in that position. I've never been in a position to try it but it sounds plausible to me. Whether or not he let's go, I'd be inclined to kick him really fucking hard. Lots of benefits to having strong, accurate kicking skills.

Dogs move incredibly fast, and if they start shaking their head ripping flesh it's a lot harder to deal with them than you might think. Avoiding stabbing/shooting innocents while the dog is thrashing about can be a challenge.

Another thing to consider...big dogs are very strong and fast, and they can be very good at taking your legs out from under you. Getting of the X footwork helps, but I think more important is stable footwork - even an old dog will outrun and out maneuver you. Good falling skills and the ability to protect your tender bits as you land will help a lot. Deploying weapons while under assault on the ground is a skill that should be practiced.

Agreed that ending the attack before they get on you or others is best.
    Picking up dogs by the hindlegs; I have picked up the hind legs to break apart two females cousins fighting over a chew toy. They like to latch on to the head of the other dog.
    I regard my dogs as a weapon with its own brain to make decisions.
    Traditionally in medieval times only freemen were allowed ownership of swords, horses, and war/watch dogs. In england the serfs were allowed a terrier breed to kill rats, an oxen, and a saxon knife called the Seax and the saxons were named after their knives.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Beats pepper spray.
    Marinate with OC, tenderize with 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    For vertebrate killers of man snakes are very high.
    https://www.realclearscience.com/art...on_110880.html

For a long long time.

A lesson I learned just one month ago. While taking trash to the community dumpster, two dogs came running at me. "Chato" is what I would call the breed: short-legged, barrel chested, ugly dogs. I watched as they came at me, not worried because "dogs like me" Well, one of them apparently thought he'd like me with BBQ sauce 'cause he went right for my ankle and took a hunk out of it. Cursing while kicking the bastard was the only thing I could think of. It did disengage. A witness tells me he called Animal Control, like that would un-bite me somehow. The lesson I learned is not what you might think: If the attacker had been human, then I might not be writing this. So, now I am armed just to take out the trash.
    "When the fightin’ starts, and things look bad, and it looks like you're not going to make it, you gotta get mean. I mean plum mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up, then you'll neither win nor live. That's just the way it is..."
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    For vertebrate killers of man snakes are very high. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...BB63C5C86FCC1D
    That's probably why most people have at least some fear of snakes. I bet that our ancestors going all the way back have had that reality ground into our collective psyche. The whole "ancestral memory" theory has some merit.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    This is true for me. Never drawn on a man, but have on a bull mastiff and a pit. As for the most deadly animal for human beings, it's the mosquito by a huge margin. Nothing else comes close.
    Proud dog faced pony soldier... Whatever that is
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"