Default KS pistol ground fighting class

Too worn out and tired to write a detailed write up but...

What a fantastic class!

Brent is a phenomenal instructor. Many things verified many more learned. The amount of retainable information in 2 days is almost unreal.

Give me a few days to process and get some things written down and I'll be back with more info.

I'll add this one last thing. Ive noticed in the past that the SI world seems to attract a certian type of student. This class was no different. Amazing guys showed up and I hope to train with you all again.

More later.

Thanks again Brent!
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    Too worn out and tired to write a detailed write up but...

I'll add this one last thing. Ive noticed in the past that the SI world seems to attract a certain type of student. This class was no different. Amazing guys showed up and I hope to train with you all again.

Thanks again Brent!
    An interesting observation deserving comment. At dinner Sunday night after the Feb 8-9 PGF class in Woodinville, WA, we were talking about just this subject. For whatever list of reasons one might consider, the SI classes we teach and participate in are (with very few exceptions) filled by hard-working, open-minded, generous, and dedicated warriors. It is extremely rewarding to be a member of the SI staff to see the outstanding progress of each and every one of our clients and tribe members.

Finally, thanks to everyone for bringing those you trust and value in your tribe to our tribe.

Semper Fi,
    Greek
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

As always, this class seems to attract the most motivated and engaged students. Thank you all for your hard work and attention to safety, to helping your partners learn, and for your dedication throughout two tough days of training! It was a real pleasure training with all of you!

Thanks to Gary and Brent for hosting me. Great location and I look forward to coming out again!

Thanks to Eric, as usual, for being an excellent uke and partner in preparing students to be more dangerous! The class was better for having you involved.

For now, some pics...
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 03-09-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Sounds cheesy I know but this is the type of class that takes a bit to really sink in as there was so much material covered. Sorry for the delay.

We started with a short lecture on context and that the tactics used were meant for lethal force situations. In fact Brent said "you will be starting from a losing position". With that in mind the drills, lecture and attitude was that "this isn't fighting it is killing"
    We moved into warm up drills and some practice drills. Then onto the mat work.
    Without going into too much detail we covered 3 main points.
    1- Avoid damage. We worked on breakfalls, and getting up. Getting up also involved getting up and moving away from our attacker with pistols drawn. A couple different techniques were covered. If you want to know more, take the class.
    Not sure where the weapon retention work was mixed in as it felt that it was consistent throughout the class.

2 - Create space. We worked a guard position on the ground referred to as "seatbelt guard". This position offered the students access to weapons and the space needed to retain and fire the weapon.
    Many many lessons learned here, not only on this day but the following day as well. We spent a great deal of time working with Brent and every other student on and in this position. I think this is what made the class so special. Brent would watch and work with every student. He would jump in and offer suggestions and help. All students came to learn and came prepared to work. The class was lead as a learning experience not a competition. At one point when working with Brent I got completely stuck and simply said "I don't know what to do" he coached me through it and we kept on going. That's the environment Brent created in class. Humble, professional and calm but demanding, a real learning environment.
    If you've ever sat under Brent you already know of his skill and his ability to teach. He really is a gifted instructor. This was confirmed all throughout the 2 days.

3 - Shoot them off of you. There is a lot of privileged information in this point. We spent a lot of time drawing in various positions with both single and multiple attackers. Out of respect to Brent and SI, I'm not going to give away much here. They are a for profit company and as such some info you need to pay for. But speaking vaguely we covered contact shooting both supported and braced, which ties into muzzle awareness.
    After we had a lot of mat time we broke into secondary weapons. When and how to deploy certain weapons and their role. Again, privileged info here.
    As if we hadn't got our money's worth by now we covered the pistol katas, lots of moving and "shooting" work with blue guns and carry guns made safe.
    Then we finished with some anti-clinc work. This portion of the class ties in a lot of principles covered over the weekend. The purpose of this was for the student to resist being taken to the ground. It was student vs student and Brent vs student.
    I walked away especially tired as he treated me with a special thank you for hosting. Brent had me work with every student back to back and half way through made me close my eyes.
    This next part I'll never forget, after this drill I I was sucking wind bad. My legs were weak, I was completely smoked. I bent over and placed my hands on my knees trying to recover. Seeing this, Brent called me, looked me in the eye and told me to stand up. Not sure if anyone else seen or felt what I felt but it was powerful to me. I think most reading this understands what I'm getting at here.

So much more could be said about the quality of material and instruction but you really have to go to this class to "get it".

Brent, thank you for all you did. I really cannot thank you enough.

-Gary
    Last edited by psalms23dad; 03-08-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Thank you Gary, I really appreciate the kind words and the excellent AAR. Looking forward to training with you again!

It's been a busy week, hopefully will have time today to post some more pics.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Brent, you've done a spectacular job with this class. The first time I attended a few years ago, it was a great class. However, Brent has really tightened this class up and I was very impressed with how much we covered in two days.

One of the my biggest takeaways from this class was the importance of relaxation. If you look at the first picture Brent posted, you'll see that I'm calm, breathing through my nose, and my muscles aren't tight. I simply got into a good position, drew my gun, and shot him off of me. This relaxation comes with practice. Those of you who've taken the class, you have the tools to be great at this material. Now, you just need to find a training partner to work with periodically. Find a friend who does BJJ, or someone who is interested in pistol ground fighting or is martially-minded. The next time you take PGF, you'll be shocked as to how much better you've become.

My other big takeaway was the importance of being fluent in violence. Brent didn't structure this course as a series of If/Then statements. He doesn't tell you to do a specific move when you're in a specific position. Instead, the class is much more free-flowing. During the two days, you're constantly experimenting with different techniques, getting a feel for what works and what doesn't. This way of learning is going to be more useful, because no matter what position you're in, you'll be able to work on a solution.

If you haven't taken PGF, I highly recommend that you do. Ground fighting with a pistol is a completely different animal than exploding off the X and shooting the bad guy. In fact, it's quite different than even what we teach in the 0-5 Feet Gunfighting class. Pistol ground fighting requires a different vocabulary, and if you want to truly be fluent in violence, you need to learn it.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs