Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If you move to free weight barbell squats you will have to drop weight a lot. With a leg press machine you aren't actually supporting the weight since you are using an inclined plane. A free bar squat also engages a number of other muscle groups that aren't used with a leg press machine.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Really the easy button is to pick any proven beginner weight program and follow it. You want to maximize your potential during your novice training phase, not be randomly doing whatever and leaving a bunch of strength and size on the table when you're most primed for both.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    If you move to free weight barbell squats you will have to drop weight a lot. With a leg press machine you aren't actually supporting the weight since you are using an inclined plane. A free bar squat also engages a number of other muscle groups that aren't used with a leg press machine.
    I figured as much.

Most of my other exercises involve dumbells or barbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Really the easy button is to pick any proven beginner weight program and follow it. You want to maximize your potential during your novice training phase, not be randomly doing whatever and leaving a bunch of strength and size on the table when you're most primed for both.
    The first week or so, yeah. That's exactly what I did. Right now I'm following a rotation, somewhat modified, that I found online. That's one reason I ended up doing the leg press machine in the first place.

Here's what I'm doing now:

Monday - chest

Barbell bench press
    Incline dumbbell bench press
    Chest fly

Tuesday - back

Machine Row
    Seated Lat Pull Down
    Seated Cable Row
    50 bent over dumbbell rows for time

Wednesday - shoulder

Seated dumbbell military press
    Dumbbell flys
    Dumbbell front raises
    50 dumbbell military press for time

Thursday

Leg Press Machine
    Hamstring Leg Curl
    Quad Leg Extension

Friday

Preacher Curl
    Rope Arm Extension
    Rope Cable Curl
    Dumbbell skull crushers
    dumbbell curls
    Bent Over Arm Extension

If you have a suggestion for a good program to follow I'm all ears. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing. Just having fun doing it and seeing improvements so far.

Great job on getting started.

I think next month I might try 5x5s.
    As a beginner, I think a 5x5 full body routine, 3x/week would be a great plan. As others as have said, most anything you pick early on will provide results, just be sure to be consistent in your workouts, and don't try to do too much (it's easier than you think).

This is one of my favorite 5x5 workouts, that I wish I had stumbled upon much earlier:

M/W/F
    All excercises done with 2 warm up sets of 5, followed by 3 work sets of 5.

Squat/Leg press/deadlift
    Bench press
    Pulldowns
    Military Press
    Barbell row

Great job. Nothing lifts my mood like a heavy weight session. Pun intended.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    If you have a suggestion for a good program to follow I'm all ears. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing. Just having fun doing it and seeing improvements so far.
    Pretty much any beginner full-body program. Starting Strength is a good beginning spot for most people.

For non-juicing, natural, beginning lifters, a full-body 3x/week program is hard to beat. That gives you a 3x/week frequency on each muscle group, which helps promote better growth. Save the bodybuilding splits for advanced lifters who are also using enhanced chemical help.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

and curls, lots of curls
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Pretty much any beginner full-body program. Starting Strength is a good beginning spot for most people.
    +1 Starting Strength

Clean and press is a fun/harsh exercise.

Basically take a barbell with weights on the ground and get it above your head.

Recommend 5/3/1, the Triumvirate template in particular. Although Starting Strength may be more appropriate based on your current barbell lifts. The Triumvirate template has you working on strength each day on either Sq, DL, BP, or OHP and then two accessory lifts that complement the primary lift. Hard to overtrain that way and you are tracking your goals on the primary lifts. You could hit Sq on Monday, BP on Tuesday, DL on Thursday, and OHP on Friday

https://www.elitefts.com/education/t...e-triumvirate/
    Last edited by twinboysdad; 02-15-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added link

One thing you want to keep in mind, and all the recommended workouts have this in common, is that you want to train your body in all planes of movement, for lack of a better term. You need a hinge movement (squat or deadlift variant), horizontal push, vertical push, horizontal pull, and vertical pull.