Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New gym-goer....having a lot of fun.

3-4 weeks ago I decided to make the jump and get a gym membership.

Previously I had tried to start exercising at home but didn't have any equipment and honestly there were a lot of distractions.

The first biggest challenge I had was accepting that I would need to get up earlier to do it. I didn't exactly get up early to begin with; I work from home so I was getting up around 8 or 8:30 and slowly transitioned to work by 9-ish. I realized that getting up earlier would involve going to sleep earlier, possibly working later / differently, and generally changing routine, since going in the afternoon was just not going to happen due to parenting and familial responsibilities.

Once I accepted that I decided to work to be up at 7, in the gym by 7:30, and back home by 8:30, so I could be ready for work by 9:00.

The next challenge was being disciplined to do it every day. For the first week or so that was hard. But during the second week it started to turn into "habit". and I found that habitual activities don't require as much discipline.

Initially I wasn't too worried about what I was doing in the gym; being there and doing something was better than nothing. I have since established a rotation. I enjoy weight lifting and the first half hour is focused on that. Anything left I spend doing cardio - just fast walking for now, getting heart rate up around 160 bpm.

It's the first time in my life that I've dedicated time and effort into weight lifting and I think it's fun.

In the last 4 weeks I've seen some changes to my body. My average heart rate has dropped by 1-2 bpm per week. I saw an initial loss of about 6 pounds then plateau'd in week 2 or 3, but my waist has gotten smaller - haven't measured it, but I can feel it in my clothes and see it in the mirror.

I've definitely gotten stronger and the amount I can lift has increased. I do 3x10, and if I'm not struggling between 6-10 I add weight. If I can't increase weight I increase reps. I think next month I might try 5x5s.

Much of that is due to inspiration from all of you here. Maybe I'll start logging my lifts here; right now I track them on my phone.

Good for you!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Get after it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Rock on. Keep up the good work.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Rock on. Get a log book. You can use an app on your phone, but a small, cheap, spiral-bound notebook does just fine, too. Track what you are lifting--weight, reps, sets. Make notes of days that you are feeling bad and holding back, or running strong and really rocking it. A year or two down the road, you will enjoy looking back at what you did then and how much you have improved. I never cared for the before-and-after photos, but I appreciate measurable metrics.
    Virtute et Armis

Congrats.

It definitely gets better once it becomes habit. Just find a solid pace you can maintain indefinitely rather than burn out in a few weeks/months.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Rock on. Get a log book. You can use an app on your phone, but a small, cheap, spiral-bound notebook does just fine, too. Track what you are lifting--weight, reps, sets. Make notes of days that you are feeling bad and holding back, or running strong and really rocking it. A year or two down the road, you will enjoy looking back at what you did then and how much you have improved. I never cared for the before-and-after photos, but I appreciate measurable metrics.
    I might do this, because I'm not a huge fan of having my phone out and in my hand in the gym. It's too easy to get distracted by emails / notifications when I'm updating my log.

46844889_10156790104824556_4928169222028132352_n.jpg

If you don't take a gym selfie, did you even work out?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Best thing i did was changed my diet and lost 20lbs. That made me realize how scrawny i was...
    Now a year into going to the gym 3 days a week I'm back up to my "skinny fat" weight of 170lbs but not skinny fat anymore. I'd still like to put on 10lbs more, at 43 it ain't going to come easy but easy ain't a reason.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I guess I'll start my log here.

Quick note on my current "methodology": I do 3x10s. My goal is to use enough weight to experience failure or near failure between reps 7 and 10.

if (rep1 && no failure) => increase weight and add a set(I want 3 failing sets)
    if (rep1 fail && week 2+ on same weight) => add a set (week 2 4 failing sets, week 3 5 failing sets, etc...)

The idea is that every week I should either increase weight or increase sets. I have NO IDEA if I'm doing this wrong or right. I just figure that if I'm not working hard the last few reps then I'm not going to grow.

After a month or so I was thinking I might change to 5x5s or something to switch it up.

2/13/2020 - Weights and Walk

Leg Press Machine 3x10 @ 265 lbs, week 1. Every week I have been increasing weight on leg press, and it wasn't until this week that I got to failure. My legs feel like rubber haha. I tore my PCL over 10 years ago and since then my knee has caused me pain under load so I have been slowly increasing leg press weight to avoid injury. I was surprised by the amount that I could press. I am not convinced I am dipping low enough due to the machine, and will soon move over to the leg press machine that uses plates, or maybe swap this for barbell squats. Might have to decrease weight when I do but that's ok.

Hamstring Leg Curl 4x10 @ 80 lbs, week 2. I was hoping to move up here but couldn't so I tacked on a set.

Quad Leg Extension 4x10 @ 115 lbs, week 1. I increased weight this week by 15 lbs.

Walk 25 minutes with 160 bpm heart rate.