Default FEB 2020 - ARTICULATION EXERCISE

In two paragraphs articulate why you shot...or didn't shoot. The goal is to justify shooting, not to explain why you didn't. Although convince us either way why you were justified and correct in your actions.

Scenario One - You are at a public place minding your own business. A belligerent man is walking around the area angry and looking for a confrontation. He has what appears to be a stun gun or taser in his hand. For reasons you will specify, you cannot just leave. He is clicking the electric button as he holds it loosely in his hand. As he nears you (some ten feet), he points the taser at you.

Scenario Two - You are at a public place minding your own business. A man who apparently knows you approaches. He does not look friendly but he is not angry. He asks, "Are you (insert your name)?" and produces a can of OC/Mace, and shakes it in his hand as he begins to raise it to your face.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

So I'm standing there with the grandkids in line waiting to see Santa. Yeah, I know. And I see this guy and I immediately get the offender vibe from him. He's got that look, y'know? And he's getting into people's faces and mean mugging and saying I dunno what and then I see that he's got a f***ing Taser--sorry, man--and then he gets target lock on me. I dunno if he knows me, if I prosecuted or arrested him or some f***ing relative of his or what, but he's coming at me and he is clicking the safety on and off and I think, I'm about to take the 5 second ride. Now I've been Tased and it rendered me absolutely helpless and screaming like a bitch. I got the grandkids behind me and I don't know if he's coming for me or them and there's no time to sort it out. I'm almost 66 years old, on sick leave from SO with a shoulder replacement and the rest of me is beat to s*** too. Next thing I know my gun is in my hand and I'm in the middle of yelling at him "Stop Police!" and he doesn't. So I shot him. He left me no choice, man. I couldn't run and I couldn't let myself be Tased.
    Gimme a sec, here. You mind if I sit down? I'm feeling a little lightheaded.

So for me, the OC scenario will be almost identical, only more so. OC's effects last longer and literally blind me.

P.S.: Based on what I know and my personal circumstances I can't justify not shooting, as going hands-on is not yet a safe choice for me. Getting off the X, sure, and impact to create space. No more.
    Last edited by Papa; 02-11-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

241. And a wakeup.

I am at the back of the big box store waiting for my 11 y/o to get out of the bathroom. The man has closed to ten feet before pointing the taser at me. I would initially go hands on in order to make space and create options. I would not initially try to draw, I think ten feet with a disabling weapon pointed at me is bad odds. 1.2-1.5 draw to first shot against .30 reaction time.

Same situation with my old "friend". I have had several exposures to OC and it has minimal effect on me. Again here I would go hands on instead of lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Scenario One - You are at a public place minding your own business. A belligerent man is walking around the area angry and looking for a confrontation. He has what appears to be a stun gun or taser in his hand. For reasons you will specify, you cannot just leave. He is clicking the electric button as he holds it loosely in his hand. As he nears you (some ten feet), he points the taser at you.

Scenario Two - You are at a public place minding your own business. A man who apparently knows you approaches. He does not look friendly but he is not angry. He asks, "Are you (insert your name)?" and produces a can of OC/Mace, and shakes it in his hand as he begins to raise it to your face.

1. I'm glad to see you Officer. That man tried to attack me with some kind of taser which I believed was only the first part of his attack. I never seen him before. I told him to back off but he continued to advance muttering incoherently so I could only conclude he was in an altered mental state. I couldn't leave because my wife was in the restroom and he could have attacked her instead. I could only assume he meant the both of us serious harm or death by using his taser to incapacitate us first. That's why I was forced to stop him. If there aren't any other questions, I'd like to check on my wife now, I'm really worried about her. Thank you again, Officer.

2. (Similar to the first)- I'm glad to see you Officer. That man tried to attack me with some kind of aerosol, I think pepper spray. He attempted to confuse me with dialog as he approached even though I told him he had the wrong person. I knew if he sprayed me, I would be unable to defend myself and that was likely only the first part of his attack. After I was incapacitated he could easily beat or kill me. Moreover, he could do the same to other innocents nearby and that's why I had to stop him. If that's all Officer, I'd like to get checked out, I think my attacker might have gotten me with some pepper spray. Thank you again, Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

1. Thank God you're here! I was standing in line to pay the cashier when I noticed this man waving a taser around and acting like he wanted to use it. He was between me and the door and I was trapped and had nowhere to go, when all of a sudden he came at me with the taser! I've seen enough taser videos on the TV to know that it will knock you down and put you out and he could do whatever he wanted and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I don't know why he picked me, but thank God I had my handgun with me. I was able to shoot him before he could get close enough to use it.

2. Thank God you're here! I was standing in line to pay the cashier when this man came up to me and asked who I was. I didn't think anything of it, but then I saw him take a can of mace out of his pocket! I was trapped and had nowhere to go and he pointed it right at my face! I couldn't figure out why this was happening but I knew that if I let him incapacitate me I would be utterly helpless. Thank God I had my handgun with me and I was able to use it before he sprayed me.

General case a less lethal weapon is only less lethal when used as a self defense tool against an attacker. When used by an attacker they are a weapon with intent to diminish by ability to defend myself and escape and enable the attacker to do want to they want to me and who I'm with.

In these specific cases, I don't know if it's a taser or a handgun painted yellow. I don't know if it is OC or acid. An aggressive individual has encroached upon me and ignored my order to stop and presented a weapon of some form. I'm the focus of violence that could lead to death or serious bodily injury.

I was assuming you were asking for micro-statements.