Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Concur 100%.

Cost is also a factor. Most people buy whatever tires are on sale and whatever brakes that Jiffy Lube installs, even though their life depends on those, too. Telling MeeMaw that she ought to drop a Grand on a tuned, RMR'ed Glock is just a non-starter.

In the end, if it's reliable, "a gun" is infinitely better than "I wish I had a gun".
    Armed Puritan

My dad kept a 5-shot Iver Johnson top-break on top of the kitchen cabinet for as long as I can remember until the day he died. Kept the same box of Western .38 S&W FMJ with it. Never knew it to be fired in almost 50 years. If he was making a long road trip, he'd move it from the top of the cabinet to under the seat of his truck, but that's the only time I ever saw him handle it. I have that pistol now... and the same box of Western.

FWIW, he also kept a loaded Mod 12 twelve-gauge in his bedroom closet.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    Have to wonder if combined with the associated lack of awareness if the revolver will be a liability taken from her rather than an asset.
    One advantage to the short barrel.

--ML

I’ve had more success teaching raw beginners to simply point and shoot rather than to use the sights effectively. I will admit I’m not the best of teachers, but every newbie I’ve taught has shot better from the get-go when I told them to IGNORE the sights. It seems when they use the sights, they start overthinking things, and that’s when they start missing. I’ve gotten to the point where when I have someone that I know isn’t going to put in any extra effort when I’m done with them, I teach them to disregard the sights altogether. What are your thoughts on this?
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    I’ve had more success teaching raw beginners to simply point and shoot rather than to use the sights effectively. I will admit I’m not the best of teachers, but every newbie I’ve taught has shot better from the get-go when I told them to IGNORE the sights. It seems when they use the sights, they start overthinking things, and that’s when they start missing. I’ve gotten to the point where when I have someone that I know isn’t going to put in any extra effort when I’m done with them, I teach them to disregard the sights altogether. What are your thoughts on this?
    I think there is a big difference between a beginner and someone who is unwilling to learn past the basics.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    A 4” pencil barrel Model 10 with grips that fit the user well will serve a lot of people well for the use it is likely to see. Just as easy to conceal as a j-frame in most instances and easier to shoot accurately for the casual user.
    m10.jpg

Shades of George Nonte, "To Stop A Thief," 1974.

I've concealed both and I've got to disagree. And that 4" barrel makes a fine lever for the disarm. Still an excellent firearm, but for the neophyte--maybe a 2" K would be better:

K2.jpg

Once you get rid of that nasty old hammer spur.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

243. And a wakeup.