Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ON COMPENSATORS

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I suppose such a thing could be done, though, if it was legally required. It just makes cleaning the gun very slightly more awkward.
    Thanks for the information. I am curious of the practicality of a welded solution, and if anyone had tried it. As you stated, the cleaning would be problematic as the barrel/comp would be trapped in the slide. That being said, since the comp loctite and set screws is a 'semi-permanent' attachment, is it workable as a permanent attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT View Post
    Thanks for the information. I am curious of the practicality of a welded solution, and if anyone had tried it. As you stated, the cleaning would be problematic as the barrel/comp would be trapped in the slide. That being said, since the comp loctite and set screws is a 'semi-permanent' attachment, is it workable as a permanent attachment.
    The Street Comp is aluminum... That won't weld to a steel barrel unless you're talking JB Weld, lol. Not sure if that would legally count as permanent but for all other purposes it probably would be.

The ATF’s welding requirement is simply “permanent.” That’s it. The reason people stick with pin-and-weld or silver solder or anything else is simply because the ATF has specifically said those methods are permanent. A prior determination like that puts you on fairly solid ground. (Though nothing is 100% with administrative agencies.)

Green Loc-Tite is, in reality, pretty permanent. But it’s probably not a reliable method for guaranteeing legality. For this project, it might work to use green Loc-Tite to do the actual work, and then add just the tiniest tack weld from a Tig (not Oxy or Mig). You’ll want to find an artist of a welder and explain your objective. The weld just needs to be technically present, not significant.

If anyone tried to remove an aluminum comp that was attached with Green Loc-Tite they would end up destroying the comp. That’s the very definition of permanent.
    Virtute et Armis

If you mean for CA/NY communist held areas that frown on threaded barrels, I cant help you. The comp works because it is ON THE BARREL. And thatvrequires the threading.

You cant weld alum to steel. But as LD mentioned... green loctite ir even JB weld will make it even more semi-permanemt.

We had an old customer send in his barrel and comp and slide because he loctite before he had the comp aligned with the slide and we had to cut the barrel in half just to save the slide.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. It’s not easy living behind enemy lines.

I swear, sometimes I think I’m going to have to learn how to speed load my Colt 1851 Navy.

Just carry four.

wales2.jpg
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

244. And a wakeup.

I know this is just piling on at this point, but ...

I shot my Street Comp'ed G19 side-by-side with a stock G19 this weekend (the comp was a Christmas gift to myself!), and I can't believe the difference. It's a totally different gun.

And plus - it's less than fifty bucks. What do you have to lose trying one?
    Last edited by TFA303; 02-03-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    Armed Puritan