Default Tensho kata partner exercise

Some of you guys into kata may enjoy this one...

I share my dojo with a few different instructors, I've been trying to train with the Goju-ryu guys on my off nights. I will probably be getting more film of them; it's a lot easier just behind the camera than when I'm in front AND behind...

This is a partner drill based on the kata Tensho. It's not so much a fighting application as it is about developing in-fighting attributes. It is sort of like an applied sticky hands drill, it requires constant contact with your partner (feeling is faster than seeing), internal structure (while they are performing the techniques they are testing each other, pushing to make sure the body is connected and the arms aren't limp noodles), and coordination between both hands (one hand is obviously doing work, the support hand may not be so obvious).

It's not a fighting application from start to finish but you can see how some of the elements might be applied.

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I met those two! Hope to train with you again next time we are in your AO visiting our kids.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post
    I met those two! Hope to train with you again next time we are in your AO visiting our kids.
    That’s right! I forgot those two came in when you were there. Let me know next time you’re up and we will set something up!
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Super.

--ML

The final technique in the sequence the Eye Poke was taught to me as a Wrist Block instead;pushing the Wrist out after snapping the Arm up from the wheel, locking my Wrist out at the last second by bringing the fingers of the hand together.

Speaking of locking your technique out it was very noticeable to me how both men stayed relaxed throughout the Drill and only apply "force"-snapping the wrist at the very last second when Blocking/Striking, leading to a strong structure and technique before immediately relaxing again.

OSSU:
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    The final technique in the sequence the Eye Poke was taught to me as a Wrist Block instead;pushing the Wrist out after snapping the Arm up from the wheel, locking my Wrist out at the last second by bringing the fingers of the hand together.

Speaking of locking your technique out it was very noticeable to me how both men stayed relaxed throughout the Drill and only apply "force"-snapping the wrist at the very last second when Blocking/Striking, leading to a strong structure and technique before immediately relaxing again.

OSSU:
    Elfie
    I learned the same thing, the same exact way, years ago from a Chinese martial artist friend of mine. It's actually quite powerful. I think he called it the pecking cock or someitthing like that.

We practice it striking the sternum rather than the eyes. If you can cause pain that way then you know you can do a good job on an eye.

--ML

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    The final technique in the sequence the Eye Poke was taught to me as a Wrist Block instead;pushing the Wrist out after snapping the Arm up from the wheel, locking my Wrist out at the last second by bringing the fingers of the hand together. Agree, that's how I practice it. Though I do it with more relaxed fingers than what I imagine from your description. But the point is that it's dropping heavy, using body weight even though it just looks like the arm moving. Whether it's palm or the chicken peck, the dropping arm and body weight are what's important. Palm or fingers is just the hard point making contact, just minor details. But a good call out nonetheless. I don't favor that pecking technique personally but it can be very strong.

Speaking of locking your technique out it was very noticeable to me how both men stayed relaxed throughout the Drill and only apply "force"-snapping the wrist at the very last second when Blocking/Striking, leading to a strong structure and technique before immediately relaxing again. Yes, this is a signature of both Goju-ryu and the karate that I practice. Relaxed body movement with solid internal structure. Muscle tension is only applied when we want to make impact. Easier said than done but that's why we train. :)

OSSU:
    Elfie
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    I learned the same thing, the same exact way, years ago from a Chinese martial artist friend of mine. It's actually quite powerful. I think he called it the pecking cock or someitthing like that.

We practice it striking the sternum rather than the eyes. If you can cause pain that way then you know you can do a good job on an eye.

--ML
    I don't practice the peck but it comes up now and then. It's funny seeing the reaction...it's a lot more power than people expect.

It has it's place in certain circumstances when you're tied up and can't use something better.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: