Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    My current ammo choice is Hornady 135gr FTX. That choice was partly a product of what I could find in Alaska. Now that I’m back in the world of mail-order ammo, I may go through the selection process again.

The Barnes 110gr black tip shot very well. And when I was still shooting subs, I used a combo of Hornady 110gr VMAX and 208gr AMAX subs. Those two loads gave me a perfect overlap in that if I had the gun set up for a 36y zero with supers, then the subs matched up with a 25y zero. It made confirmation checks easy.
    Oh that's cool and super handy as 25y zero is better for CQB than 36y zero (my EVO is zeroed for 25y as it's a CQB only weapon, my shorty AR is zeroed at 36y as it's role is CQB/Urban 0-200m ish). So the windage lines up when you switch ammo? How about with/without suppressor, do you have any DOPE on that?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

That 208gr AMAX expand won't expand at sub velocities.I

I use the 110gr Barnes VOR-TX black tip, and Beck Ammunition loaded Lehigh 194grain Maximum Expansion.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend
    Pistol Ground Fighting

TWOTU since 2016

Not helping.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Oh that's cool and super handy as 25y zero is better for CQB than 36y zero (my EVO is zeroed for 25y as it's a CQB only weapon, my shorty AR is zeroed at 36y as it's role is CQB/Urban 0-200m ish). So the windage lines up when you switch ammo? How about with/without suppressor, do you have any DOPE on that?
    It lined up suppressed or unsuppressed. As was pointed out, though, the 208gr isnít a great performer. But none of the subs have ever impressed me with their performance. Hence my shift away from them.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    It lined up suppressed or unsuppressed. As was pointed out, though, the 208gr isn’t a great performer. But none of the subs have ever impressed me with their performance. Hence my shift away from them.

Well...lets give that some thought. What is the role of a suppressed 200 grain 30 caliber pill sent at a target? In CQB I will bet that those will do very well indeed. Are the GP round to shoot longer distances and big animals? Nah...but for sneaking up on bad guys in the dark and shooting them, through armor if necessary, or in the back of the head preferably...and in complete silence?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

^^^ This ^^^

Once again Role, Niche, Envelope comes through and makes the decisions easy.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

I get it. And if you really see a role for this in your life, go for it. I know that my own mind is too susceptible to flights of fantasy, and I have to focus to keep myself grounded. At one time, I was watching way too much of The Walking Dead, and in a far-too-serious fashion contemplating what the ideal set-up would be for the zombie apocalypse. (Answer: lots of rimfire.) I begrudgingly accept that I am not James Bond and am unlikely to ever get to eliminate a sentry. My gun is defensive in nature and intended to repel boarders. For me, extra power trumps stealth. I'll shoot some subs at the range, just for fun, but they don't fit into practical application for me. I already have less time than I want to train for the likely scenarios. I don't want to waste that time training for fantasies.
    Virtute et Armis

To each his own I suppose. I bought my .300 BO to shoot suppressed. Exclusively. There are too many better calibers out there for other things. A few rounds of 200 grain “fill in the blank” ought to do what I want it to.

I’ve always been a believer in finding one round for a gun and sticking with it. It removes the guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^

Once again Role, Niche, Envelope comes through and makes the decisions easy.
    And lest we fall into the NRA-approved home defense doctrine, I can think of several situations where suppressed weapons and night vision would be handy items to have on hand. As often as a proper handgun? No...but never say never. We do live in interesting times, and the AR platform offers capabilities that may become very useful in those times...recall the IRA in Fry The Brain.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    And lest we fall into the NRA-approved home defense doctrine, I can think of several situations where suppressed weapons and night vision would be handy items to have on hand. As often as a proper handgun? No...but never say never. We do live in interesting times, and the AR platform offers capabilities that may become very useful in those times...recall the IRA in Fry The Brain.
    You could use it for everything really, if there is a carbine that can do lots of things that would be it. I don’t see how anyone can say otherwise....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....