Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The only pair I own right now were my grandad's. Unknown origin--they were custom-made by hand somewhere in Texas, likely in the 60's. Marks inside aren't readable any more. They're a work of art--THICK ostrich skin,zippered inside seam for easy on/off. I'll get some pics up if you want.

The soles were pretty shot, so several years ago I did some research and found the best boot guy in my area and took them in to get some modern soles put on. When I went to pick them up, the boot guy wouldn't stop raving about how amazing they were. He said you never see craftsmanship like them any more, and most ostrich skin boots are too thin and don't make it very long. He said these boots would last over 100 years if taken care of. He gave me a discount on the resole job, saying it was an honor as a craftsman to get to work on something so special. Made me feel really good inside.

They don't fit me as well as boots that I size for myself, but they fit good enough for wearing out and about. And they're connected to Grandad, who was the family legend, so I love wearing them.

I've been meaning to pick up another pair of nice boots for myself; I just never get around to it and feel like I should do it when I'm back in Texas visiting. Probably will get it done this year.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I wear a pair of Justin’s with a rubber sole for grip. I love them and wear them as often as possible. Not work appropriate so that’s mostly on the weekends. They are my first pair. Wife got them for me about 5 years ago after she kept telling me I would like them. She was right as usual.

Good boots should last the rest of your life if you don't get them into barnyard acids.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Have a brand new pair waiting in the truck...

Lol, my other boots are vans or converse....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    The soles were pretty shot, so several years ago I did some research and found the best boot guy in my area and took them in to get some modern soles put on. When I went to pick them up, the boot guy wouldn't stop raving about how amazing they were. He said you never see craftsmanship like them any more, and most ostrich skin boots are too thin and don't make it very long. He said these boots would last over 100 years if taken care of. He gave me a discount on the resole job, saying it was an honor as a craftsman to get to work on something so special. Made me feel really good inside.
    That's really cool. Great story!
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

181. And a wakeup.

I’ve worn boots exclusively since I was about 15. I’ve had a lot of basic Ariats, they generally last a year or so of hard use but we’re always comfortable right out of the box. For 9 years I wore the same pair of Black Jack’s probably 350 days a year. Had them resoled 7 times and repaired 3 before they just finally couldn’t handle it anymore and I was forced to retire them.

I’ve switched almost 100% to Anderson Bean’s with their hybrid sole. It looks like a traditional leather sole but is rubber in the high wear area. Last year I got a pair made of Giraffe and they’re my all time favorite boots.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Hell yeah, that’s awesome...