Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That looks like an excellent enhancement to the bridge escape. Something I haven't seen before and will test out tonight in class. Thanks
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I was thinking about this last night and had a couple of thoughts... 1) If you end up under a full mount, you done messed up A-Aron. You didn't initially control your space. 2) You're likely fighting someone who knows what they are doing at least as well as you do or better (yes I know Murphy shows up sometimes).

My other thought was this, everyone jumps to "how do I access my gun" or "when can you shoot him" and what jumped into my head was are we thinking about the right tools and are we using the correct thought process? Personally, if I'm grappling what I'm thinking about is how to keep from getting hit, and second is how do I finish this the fastest. I think at this distance my preference is to compromise his structure and go for a blade. Given the opportunity if I can get a cross body underhook to trap an arm while accessing a blade you could sewing machine him all day, while in a compromised position, and there is nothing he can do about it.

The hardest part will be getting the body off you and doing laundry.

Just a thought.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

My thoughts in bold...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I was thinking about this last night and had a couple of thoughts... 1) If you end up under a full mount, you done messed up A-Aron. You didn't initially control your space. Very true. Sometimes we just screw up, and yes murphy happens. 2) You're likely fighting someone who knows what they are doing at least as well as you do or better Also very true! Which is a big part of the justification for going to weapons.(yes I know Murphy shows up sometimes).

My other thought was this, everyone jumps to "how do I access my gun" or "when can you shoot him" and what jumped into my head was are we thinking about the right tools and are we using the correct thought process?

Personally, if I'm grappling what I'm thinking about is how to keep from getting hit, and second is how do I finish this the fastest. Absolutely agreed. Avoiding/mitigating damage and reasserting initiative is the larger goal. I think we are not getting into the HOW...

I think at this distance my preference is to compromise his structure and go for a blade. Agreed on compromising structure...IMO that is virtually always one piece of the puzzle in a fight (at greater distance, you compromise his structure with bullets). And I don't disagree with the blade per se...but this is where equipment matters. Fixed blade, yes...if I'm carrying a fixed blade then I'd often be more inclined to branch to blade before pistol. Folder...not so much. It is much easier for me to access my pistol than a folder. And for me, the majority of the time, I'm not carrying a fixed blade.

Given the opportunity if I can get a cross body underhook to trap an arm while accessing a blade you could sewing machine him all day, while in a compromised position, and there is nothing he can do about it. And this is where the fixed blade does have an advantage because it won't malfunction. But without the blade...the goal with the pistol is to create enough space to use it, ideally without malfunction. And this gets into the detail of contact shots, how even a single shot can help create greater space to escape, etc.

The hardest part will be getting the body off you and doing laundry. Also agreed. The hardest part, no matter what we're using - blade, pistol, hands, weapons of opportunity - is getting the body off. We must make some space for whatever weapon we are using. And knives definitely do have some great advantages in this space. I just approach this from a standpoint that most of us here are carrying pistols, and if a knife is carried it's probably a folder.

Just a thought.
    Great discussion!
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Good point, I usually carry a short, fixed blade, just for this purpose.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Good point, I usually carry a short, fixed blade, just for this purpose.
    Carrying a fixed blade is definitely better whenever possible. I like having one but for most every day things in my world it just doesn't make the cut. Pistol and back up mag take priority and my belt just doesn't leave a lot of room for concealment.

That's a big reason I developed the Heretic...it certainly doesn't replace a blade because it won't do the same damage in the same amount of time. But it's easy to access like a fixed blade while being easier to carry...a compromise I'm willing to make. But generally speaking I still branch first to pistol, when possible. The Heretic is more of a back up plan.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Given the context I think "how do I get to my gun" is the natural interation of "I have a gun I don't need hand to hand skills. Sometimes you have to rip and tear your way to creating the opening for more effective tools. Luckily there is a class available to rip the face off that notion.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

There were two things in the OPs video I would correct.

1. The person on bottom did not have his elbows positioned correctly to blocking the top person from gaining a high mount. You have to block his hip with one arm and wedge your elbows against your ribs. If you don't, he will crawl up to your armpits and you will not be able to bridge him off.

2. The bottom person bridged to the side. He is bigger than his opponent, so it will work in this case. But, against an equal or larger opponent, he needs to bridge up towards his head (not to the side). Then, in the middle of the bridge, he would rotate his body.

These are small details. But, they make a big difference.

Watch the extended arms, Eric!

If you take someone with as little as a month of BJJ training on top and try that long extended arm wrap from bottom mount (from the video in the OP), you will lose your arms or worse.

Option 1: two on one. Two hands from the top mount guy to that one arm, use body weight flat to ground, opposite foot “hooks” bottom guy’s leg for base, Americana (or straight arm lock if he fights it). Broken arm.

Option 2: top guy “collects” extended arm, transitions to S-mount, pinches knees on that arm and pulls a Rhonda Rousey armbar, snap. There goes that arm.

Option 3: top guy slides forward, solidifies higher base, attacks the neck with top triangle, or just bashes the $#!+ out of bottom guy’s face because he has nothing left to block it.

The Rickson Gracie technique video a couple down shows a much cleaner approach with tighter arms.

Details matter.

Also, a dude with 30-60 days worth of BJJ/MMA training or who watches UFC, may “float” or base out wide blocking the bridge and roll. You really need to have a plan B and C (elbow and hip escapes) for when this happens.

If I was concerned about this position as a CCW dude, I’d drill many hours for plan A, B, and C, and wouldn’t think about accessing the gun until D or later. Regardless of if you’re 25 or 65.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

In regards to "just shoot them" ....that's a great idea....IF you can access the gun. You are probably going to have to do something to change the current relationship between you and your opponent to create enough space to make a draw without it getting jammed or fouled. The concept is "Position before Acquisition". There are several ways to create a bit of space to access the pistol. The more skill you have the easier that becomes (Hmmm....imagine that..). I'm not a great fan of the extended overhook from the video. I'm not saying at all that it cannot work I'm saying it can be dangerous if the other guy has some BJJ or wrestling experience. I prefer to go UNDER the opponents arm if I'm going to do that type escape. It keeps my elbows in closer to my body and gives him less an opportunity to counter and does not present him with your outstretched arm.

Another way is to take your foot (on the side you are wanting to roll to) and bring it over his same side leg and use it to trap that leg . Then you grab him and pull his upper body toward you as you then roll him toward the trapped leg side with you ending up on top. Once on top you trap his arm closest to your gun and THEN draw your gun.

Of course there is always the bridge and roll (Upa) mount escapes.

Another one (that they don't let you do in the dojo) is pull his upper body down into yours...then grab his head and turn it like you are trying to steer a bus with no power steering. He will naturally turn his body that way to alleviate the pressure building in his neck (or his neck will break) and you then roll that way with him to reverse the position to put you on top. Once on top you trap his arm closest to your gun and THEN draw your gun.

Another method is to use a cross side arm drag (not a "cross eyed" arm drag ) to pull his left arm across your body toward your left side (assume you are right handed) . As you do that you shrimp your hips to your right side sliding partially out from under him. At the same time you reposition your left hand to his left tricep to control that arm and keep him from turning back towards you as you draw your pistol. The arm drag breaks his dominant position, the shrimping frees your hips so the gun is no longer pinned between you and him, the left hand on his left tricep keeps him from turning back into you and foul your draw and your right hand draws and fires.

As we see there are several ways to either reverse the position or to make enough space to access your gun but NONE of it works unless you actually get out and practice it. So get signed up for Brent's class !
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 02-07-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....