Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Escaping the Mount

I think I've posted this one before, but with the Pistol Ground Fighting classes coming up I think it's worth a revisit.

This isn't a difficult technique but like anything it takes a little practice to make it mindless and apply seamlessly.

The mount position is dangerous and we are clearly justified in using the pistol if a bad guy gets on top of you. BUT, the key is getting the pistol...and in this case there's no way for you to get it with him sitting on you and pounding your face into the pavement. This is a case where you have to fight for the draw, and you need some skill/technique to make that happen. It's easy to see where the draw can be incorporated once you're back on top.

And it's worth noting that at that point you may not NEED to shoot him. Circumstances dictate what happens next...

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Yep, you need to trap and isolate one side so they can't brace against the sweep, then commit to the action. It can be done with double underhooks but that's harder. The only real advantage is you can sweep either direction, but you have to be really high under the arms, pull down and roll rather than just trap and roll.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Very similar to what I learned in TKD probably 18 years ago; love it. I need to think through how to incorporate the draw, though, if pressed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Very similar to what I learned in TKD probably 18 years ago; love it. I need to think through how to incorporate the draw, though, if pressed to it.
    I'd do it during the sweep as you post up on the chest in the guard.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I'd do it during the sweep as you post up on the chest in the guard.
    Yes.

Sooner is also possible...all that's really needed is the space to access it. If you can draw while he's falling over and busy dealing with saving his own shit, then you're more likely to be uninhibited. I wouldn't say that's more complicated for the gun guy, but it is doing more things simultaneously and takes some more skill to pull off.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Can you just draw and shoot him in the gut?

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    From where? Under a full mount? No. From top position? For sure.

ETA, from the top position you can easily make the draw stroke, then jam your forearm in his throat and fill his guts up to your heart's content.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 01-21-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    The mount position is dangerous and we are clearly justified in using the pistol if a bad guy gets on top of you. BUT, the key is getting the pistol...and in this case there's no way for you to get it with him sitting on you and pounding your face into the pavement. This is a case where you have to fight for the draw, and you need some skill/technique to make that happen. It's easy to see where the draw can be incorporated once you're back on top.
    If your bad guy is blocking your access to your pistol, you have to create an opening. This is a major theme in the PGF class...HOW and when to do so.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I feel the number one thing that BJJ taught me was escaping from mount. I think this is even more valuable than any submission move.

This video has a small tip that increased my “upa” (bridge escape) by 10x. Tilting your head to the side really clears the shoulder to roll shorter and easier. I use a fraction of the energy as well. It completely makes sense just like a backwards somersault, you don’t want to roll over your own neck. Tip section is at 3:13 of the video:

this other video has great pointers on punch trapping and “climbing” up the back.
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
    Jeff Cooper

Good tip buckcz. Thanks for posting.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”