Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gentlemen,

I read through all the comments twice. I truly appreciate and respect what each of you are saying. I am going to stop training BJJ. If I do anymore ground skills it will be the self-defense style of BJJ. I am going to take some classes to work on my stand up skills and work katas as presented on here. I know 40 isn’t super old but unfortunately I’ve have more injury prone than some. I’m going to concentrate on the discipline of diet, strength, and and flexibility this year. Thank you again for the advice.
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
    Jeff Cooper

Look guys...as I type I am nursing a reinjury of my back. Yeah...the shit that ended my door kicking life. I am expecting another week of "taking it easy". My PT is a badass ex-athlete that pulls no punches and tells it like it is. But deadlifting in winter and shit like that...but that is the life I have chosen. More viking, less english monk.

Anyways. Here is the deal. We all get old. Some guys get old at thirty...some at fifty...some at eighty. My goal is to hit ninety with a six pack a hard on and a paycheck from the state of California. If I sound harsh and over-Testosteroned, perhaps you should find a nice lady's church forum somewhere else. I want to die in a gunfight with ISIS terrorists, just after having sex, and the last image on this earth of me is of me smiling...headed to the Christian Valhalla, atop a pile of brass and dead tangoes...

But you get to a point where some pursuits carry too high a price tag. Dan Inosanto himself said, "You can't ignore nature". I agree...but you can damn sure fool her for most of the time. MOST of the time...with some pharma, some diet tweaks, etc. Nonetheless...we don't move the same way we did thirty years ago. Look up the video I put up of me doing the Kyokushin Kanku kata. You will notice some serious shoulder inflexibility. It is what it is. Too much benching, too many punches on the makiwara. A signature of a martial life. But what it means to me is that I work around them. My delts are bigger stronger and more pronounced now than when I was push pressing 255. By working around. And I know my limits. If anyone puts me in a position that compromises my mobility there I will stab them in the scrotum with a Spyderco because I know the rest of the story.

Today when I was done with the PT session, I told Eric C that if anyone picked a fight with me today I would just shoot them in the face right away without so much as a hello. He agreed and said he would testify as to my current injury state. Done and done.

My injury will heal in about a week...primarily due to my Team's work with me. But I am no fool and the excerices that I did that got me there will be reevaluated and perhaps changed. Because the goal is to die fit, and a bad ass motherf*cker at ninety facing those tangoes...not broken down in a death warehouse cuz you broke your back trying to out-wrestle a 25 year old.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Been on the road all day and took great interest in this thread. I too am in the over 40 club. Iím just as mean and dangerous if not even more so than Iíve ever been. Iíve come to the realization thereís somethingís I can still do that just arenít smart for me to do.

Our brother, John Chambers, said there was a ďfine line between hard and retardĒ. I still like to roll, but the days of tolerating spastic white belts are over. I also thoroughly enjoy my early Korean MA roots.

Listen to your body, strength train often, cardio for wind, and learn the difference between pushing yourself and breaking yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Today when I was done with the PT session, I told Eric C that if anyone picked a fight with me today I would just shoot them in the face right away without so much as a hello. He agreed and said he would testify as to my current injury state. Done and done.
    Absof***inglutely.

ant.jpg

More is better.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

238. And a wakeup.

Heard
    Understood
    Acknowledged

I’m not exaggerating that I feel like a weight has been lifted from me. My BJJ school asking where I’m at, my own self-doubt and criticism, all that stuff gone. When lost, look to your brothers. I see who I am and where I must go now. Thank you everyone again.
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by buckcz View Post
    Heard
    Understood
    Acknowledged

I’m not exaggerating that I feel like a weight has been lifted from me. My BJJ school asking where I’m at, my own self-doubt and criticism, all that stuff gone. When lost, look to your brothers. I see who I am and where I must go now. Thank you everyone again.

Iron sharpens fucking iron brother.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Iron sharpens fucking iron brother.
    Abso- fuckin-loutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Yeah; definitely look at this through a "training vs sport" lens. I have a lot of gymnastics background and experience. I turn 40 in a few months. I'm in fantastic shape. I know a couple of people in their 20s to very early 30s who keep asking if I want to train with them to compete in Trampoline/Tumbling for fun. They do meets and get together and train and it looks FUN AS HELL. But I keep saying no.

I have no doubt I could get myself up to speed on that stuff quickly and start doing some big-time skills in a really short time period. But ONE bad landing, ONE extra quarter turn on a skill, ONE blown knee or Achilles, and my ability to make money takes a big hit for a bunch of months. Just not worth it, as awesome as the stories and videos would be.

And then like 3 days ago, one of those friends had a bad landing on the double-mini tramp (look up some videos: that stuff is WILD) and broke the middle of his foot in half and is getting surgery. And he's more talented than I ever was. So for me...I made the right call.

During Pistol Groundfighting, I kept reminding partners over and over to slow down, not use full strength, etc. "Remember, we're TRAINING!" It's human nature to try to"win"--it takes maturity and a devotion to the training process to work through the problems and get value from training without wrecking yourself or your training partners.

I'd love to roll some BJJ or something on a more regular basis (gotta carve out some time), but I'd ONLY do it with the right group of people who could check their ego at the door and TRAIN, not be hell-bent on competing.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Great thread here with great advice! Buckcz 40 is definitely not old, but your wisdom is coming through. You probably knew what you had to do, but no warrior wants to accept it. It IS reassuring to hear it from others who have similar mindsets and experiences. I was 40, 6 short years ago. Benching 405 squating 500 and pulling 600. Then 2 years ago herniated 2 discs in my back and had to stop lifting to be able to heal. Well I’m here to tell you pulling 455 now feels like I’m gonna launch my guts out of my ass. It was time to change things. My workouts now are much lighter weight with higher reps and much higher intensity. I’m still strong but not pushing the weight I used to. Now instead of being the biggest and strongest in the gym, my priority now is longevity. Staying as dangerous as I can for as long as I possibly can. Which emphasizes being able to move. To reiterate what others have said, you will be of no use to your family or yourself if you can’t move how you want to when the shit goes down.

Great bunch of wisdom in this thread.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

ďAdversity introduces a man to himself.Ē