Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Seriously? That's entirely unacceptable. If only for the time machine, indeed.
    This time, bring a gun.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Training with young men who are both strong and dumb is risky. All the more so when the instructor is a moron and doesn’t consider the safety of the students.

Pain is going to happen. That’s not a bad thing; it’s a good thing in fact.

Injury is another matter. Injuries can and will happen even in the best schools; accidents happen and people make mistakes. But the instructor must set the tone and enforce rules in all training drills to minimize the chance of injury. Most important, he has to set the ATTITUDE of every one there. An attitude that everyone is there to LEARN and to HELP each other get better. There is a place for competitive practice, but that attitude of lifting each other up rather than simply beating the hell out of each other must be there. I don’t know what is terribly complicated about that but it’s apparently lost on a lot of instructors. Then again, I am not a stupid asshole (at least in that regard).

A student that is willfully a danger to others wouldn’t last long in my place.

But always remember that your safety is YOUR responsibility first. Yes, a decent and ethical instructor will have your safety in mind, but you can’t count on that. (I would bet that 99% of the time I could tell you within 2 minutes or less if an instructor was safe and worth training with, but I have been doing this awhile and most beginners don’t know what to look out for.)

YOU have to tell your training partners why you are there, what your limits are, etc. Being smart about training does not make one a pussy.

Some guys are not malicious, but when they are strong, have low skill, and have more muscle than judgment, you can get hurt. It seems funny to say but when you’re practicing these things, you have to protect yourself. There are little things you do with how you position yourself, how you set your joints, how you maximize cover for vulnerable spots...but sadly some of that just comes with experience...usually AFTER getting hurt making a mistake.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    but sadly some of that just comes with experience...usually AFTER getting hurt making a mistake.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I would like to try Brazilian Jujitsu. But I have junk for a right shoulder, and the left...isn't what it once was. So I stick with the low speed high drag art I've been working in for 15 years now. It's not much, but it's better than tearing sh*t up worse.

I find these stories to be representative of a bad school, not of BJJ.

Iíve had many minor injuries from BJJ. Still train 3-4x/week, in my 40s. Wonít give it up until I physically canít make it there.

We have some guys into their 60s training here. 1 black belt is late 50s, walks feebly, but you probably wonít do well in a roll with him.

The most dangerous person on the mats in general is a brand new white belt. Double if he is under 30 and fit.

Another thing to consider is that most schools donít start standing most of the time, to avoid injuries. Our school teaches takedowns on separate days, with extra precautions, and unless youíre doing competition training, you start on the mats simulating a takedown ending in a 50-50 neutral position.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

There's a lot of value in BJJ. When I used to work clubs and concerts (back before the country shut down) I used to encourage the females, especially the smaller-framed ones, to get some training.

Because the name of the game, for them in that environment, was not to win a world championship, or even a street fight. The objective was to not get KTFO'd for the five to ten seconds it was going to take before Security dog-piled the bad actor. BJJ (and maybe a little Muay Thai clinch work) is not a bad plan for doing that.

But finding a school that matches your goals is going to be key...