Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and injuries - I need a pep talk

Gentlemen,

I need advice from the Tribe. Iíve done BJJ for quite sometime. Quick background: Iím 40-years old. Iíve done about 4-years NoGi and 2-years Gi. I hold a blue under a former Brazilian world champion. Iíve done tournaments. Iíve won some. The skills Iíve learned are invaluable and would encourage everyone to do at least 1-2 years.m of ground training for escapes and basic submissions and sweeps.

My personal cost for this is a broken body: two damaged knees, permanently damage to ligaments in my arm, twisted neck every few months, damage fingers, etc. My most recent injury was to my last good knee. Tears in my meniscus from attempting a twisting throw. Been three months and hasnít healed. May need surgery. Iím split between calling myself a ďpussyĒ and ďget back out thereĒ to ďI need to prolong my health and protect my body.Ē

Iíve read some of the injuries guys have on here and they are more severe than mine. Iím just not sure if Iím gun-shy now or being intelligently reflective. What say you?
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
    Jeff Cooper

If you are just going to continue to get hurt, I wouldn’t even do it anymore unless you just love that shit. Switch it up and do boxing for a while, you know. You still probably have another 40 years left....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Get repaired. Then concentrate on mindset and practical fighting skills that enable you to anticipate, act and articulate.

Your skills and history show dedication and discipline. I admire your perseverance in the face of injury and pain. But remember why you train: to win a fight. Not a tournament, not a belt.

There is no fair fight, there is only fighting and winning.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

239. And a wakeup.

As our friend used to say, there's a fine line between hard and retard.

The martial arts are useful for a great many things. For fighting and self defense of course...but think about WHY we want to be prepared for such things? While the martial virtues are a fine goal in and of themselves, ultimately they are about LIFE.

IMO, it doesn't do us much good to invest time, money, effort, blood and pain only to be broken by age 40. It is categorically NOT pussing out to choose to train smarter and avoid injury.

I've always said - pain is fine, injury is not. One of the martial skills you gain through experience is knowing the difference.

And this post is evidence of what many of us here have said...pursuing sport oriented martial arts is a great way to become broken. I certainly respect the skills taught in BJJ...however, what I see in many schools is the emphasis on competition and constant hard core training. That is great in your teens and twenties...it takes a great toll by your forties.

This is not to say that you can't continue training, but you definitely need to alter the way you train. In training, it is not (or should not be, IMO) the goal to beat your training partner, but the goal for each of you to become better. Your partners are literally breaking you, not helping you, and you are doing the same to them.

I intend to be doing this stuff to my grave. I've certainly been hurt in training, but serious injuries are rare. There's a balance where we train rough and play hard, but not too hard. What good does it do you to learn these fantastic skills if you are too broken to actually use them when it counts? What good are martial skills that are only useful for young people? Do you know when the fight of your life will be? Maybe in your prime...maybe well past it.

Train smart.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

A couple more observations...

A lot of the guys on here have severe injuries due to getting wounded. Getting shot, stabbed, or beat on the head by a criminal is something we don't always have the choice to avoid. Life is a contact sport and if your job requires you to go into harm's way, you're gonna get more contact than others.

But serious training injuries are largely avoidable. We all have some degree of training injuries. No matter what you do, weights, martial arts, hell, jujutsu in the bedroom...some time you'll experience injury. But a lot of major injury can be avoided by training smart.

I think serious injury is usually the fault of the instructor. And I see this more often in high level competition schools. All that matters is winning the match...injury is just part of it. Too damn bad. Personally, I think this is a stupid thing to do and it is criminal for an instructor to set up his program such that it becomes a hamburger factory. Injury will of course happen in a competition but if it is regular injury on the training floor...something is wrong.

Sometimes it is the fault of the student. I've known students that go too hard even with good coaching. They injure themselves and others constantly, even when they don't mean to. They tend to be deaf when it comes to listening to their body and lack the mental and physical discipline to avoid hurting themselves and others. I have trained with some of these outside my class and thankfully don't have to deal with them in my own dojo. When I have had students in my school with this issue, I work with them so they can become safe training partners. If that isn't successful, I would fire them; thankfully I've never had to do that.

I would consider what is going on in your training that is getting you injured and modify accordingly. Stay active and keep fit, but get fixed, heal up, and train in a way that you're not breaking yourself.

That may mean taking a break from BJJ for a time, or asking your instructor to modify your regimen. If he is unable to do so, that will tell you something. Find other stuff to supplement your training. I'm making a guess that you would benefit from a softer approach...not so much for fighting but for getting more in tune with your body to help avoid injury. Sometimes we need non-martial disciplines to hone our martial abilities.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

To me it sounds like he’s “sparring with real katanas”. He may end up crippling himself, you feel bad now wait until 60. I would definetly change my habits.

I fought full contact Kyokushin. Then I fought full contact on the street as an LE. My record on the street was undefeated...not bullshitting. Can't say the same in Kyokushin. But at nearly 60 years old, I have no desire to get in a street fight. I have no doubt that I can beat a man a third of my age to death, but then again...

I still train, and have no doubt that I can break bones...but full contact stuff...not for me any more. I have posted an image of me shirtless within the last few months. I am not letting the old man in. But just as deadlift maxes give way to more hypertrophy work, so do full contact fights give way to more bag work and kata. Anyone that thinks I am a pussy and wants to test me had best make peace with whatsoever they believe in, because they will die quickly in the attempt.

I have the skills that I can move and maneuver out of a fist fight or a ground fight, just enough to sodomize my attacker with a threaded barrel and a few 9mm enemas. I have no intent to ever lose...or to get hurt trying to keep a 25 year old edge. Just saying. Hell Royce Gracie himself carries a Suarez RMR G19...maybe he has made the same realizations?

If BJJ is injuring you, then BJJ should become a thing of your history...not a thing you are a slave to.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

More often than not it's the instructor's fault if guys are sparring with real katana.

Buckcz - thanks for raising the subject. It's a good discussion and we all need to be reminded sometimes about avoiding injury and training effectively.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I fought full contact Kyokushin. Then I fought full contact on the street as an LE. My record on the street was undefeated...not bullshitting. Can't say the same in Kyokushin. But at nearly 60 years old, I have no desire to get in a street fight. I have no doubt that I can beat a man a third of my age to death, but then again...

I still train, and have no doubt that I can break bones...but full contact stuff...not for me any more. I have posted an image of me shirtless within the last few months. I am not letting the old man in. But just as deadlift maxes give way to more hypertrophy work, so do full contact fights give way to more bag work and kata. Anyone that thinks I am a pussy and wants to test me had best make peace with whatsoever they believe in, because they will die quickly in the attempt.

I have the skills that I can move and maneuver out of a fist fight or a ground fight, just enough to sodomize my attacker with a threaded barrel and a few 9mm enemas. I have no intent to ever lose...or to get hurt trying to keep a 25 year old edge. Just saying. Hell Royce Gracie himself carries a Suarez RMR G19...maybe he has made the same realizations?

If BJJ is injuring you, then BJJ should become a thing of your history...not a thing you are a slave to.
    Just saying, but I don’t think anyone thinks your a pussy... Plus they would have to get through me first and probably will never make it there....:)

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Just saying, but I don’t think anyone thinks your a pussy... Plus they would have to get through me first and probably will never make it there....:)

Thanks homie...I gots your six as well.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters