Fighting Rifle Skills
    Small Unit Tactics
    Close Range Gunfighting
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting
    0-5 gunfighting
    Advanced AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting
    Guerilla Sniper I
    CQB: Fighting in Structures

Much wisdom here. Here's another way to maybe look at things...

Some of the training practices of traditional martial arts -- kata comes to mind, but others, too -- are often criticized these days in certain quarters, but they are designed the way they are for a real good reason. Until a generation or two ago, nearly everyone who practiced arts like Karate or Kali was a fisherman or an argricultural laborer or something like that. If they got injured in training and couldn't go to work, their families didn't eat. So they worked out ways to train without getting hurt.

Also note that some practioners of these arts have been more than able to defend themselves in real fights even at great age.

Quote Originally Posted by buckcz View Post
    Gentlemen,

I need advice from the Tribe. Iíve done BJJ for quite sometime. Quick background: Iím 40-years old. Iíve done about 4-years NoGi and 2-years Gi. I hold a blue under a former Brazilian world champion. Iíve done tournaments. Iíve won some. The skills Iíve learned are invaluable and would encourage everyone to do at least 1-2 years.m of ground training for escapes and basic submissions and sweeps.

My personal cost for this is a broken body: two damaged knees, permanently damage to ligaments in my arm, twisted neck every few months, damage fingers, etc. My most recent injury was to my last good knee. Tears in my meniscus from attempting a twisting throw. Been three months and hasnít healed. May need surgery. Iím split between calling myself a ďpussyĒ and ďget back out thereĒ to ďI need to prolong my health and protect my body.Ē

Iíve read some of the injuries guys have on here and they are more severe than mine. Iím just not sure if Iím gun-shy now or being intelligently reflective. What say you?
    I had a complete severing of my ACL in BJJ at Savarese BJJ in New jersey in may 2019. I was a brand new beginner on a 3 month trial. Ended up getting a patella tendon graft in and i still have trouble going down stairs. If I knew a 3 month BJJ trial would turn into the nightmare it has for me Id have never walked in the door. A purple belt did it to me no less. Doctor advised me to not go back to that stuff, after that I will stick shooting. Dont need anymore hospital bills, inability to work and life altering injuries. If you are in a profession at arms it might be different. For me, the risk vs reward is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by buckcz View Post
    Gentlemen,

I need advice from the Tribe. Iíve done BJJ for quite sometime. Quick background: Iím 40-years old. Iíve done about 4-years NoGi and 2-years Gi. I hold a blue under a former Brazilian world champion. Iíve done tournaments. Iíve won some. The skills Iíve learned are invaluable and would encourage everyone to do at least 1-2 years.m of ground training for escapes and basic submissions and sweeps.

My personal cost for this is a broken body: two damaged knees, permanently damage to ligaments in my arm, twisted neck every few months, damage fingers, etc. My most recent injury was to my last good knee. Tears in my meniscus from attempting a twisting throw. Been three months and hasnít healed. May need surgery. Iím split between calling myself a ďpussyĒ and ďget back out thereĒ to ďI need to prolong my health and protect my body.Ē

Iíve read some of the injuries guys have on here and they are more severe than mine. Iím just not sure if Iím gun-shy now or being intelligently reflective. What say you?
    By the way, im 37 with four screws in me related to this stuff. You might need your body to defend yourself, but your sure as hell need your knees to walk everyday.

^that sucks to hear. Every one is playing a heel hook game these days. Knee destruction is a lot more debilitating than elbow or even shoulder injuries. I tap anytime anyone gets even close to a heel hook. They really dont hurt until damage is done, you gotta be careful with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Warrior Skills Camp 09
    Fighting Rifle Skills
    Small Unit Tactics
    Close Range Gunfighting
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting
    0-5 gunfighting
    Advanced AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting
    Guerilla Sniper I
    CQB: Fighting in Structures

Quote Originally Posted by chipw View Post
    ^that sucks to hear. Every one is playing a heel hook game these days. Knee destruction is a lot more debilitating than elbow or even shoulder injuries. I tap anytime anyone gets even close to a heel hook. They really dont hurt until damage is done, you gotta be careful with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It was a take down, a purple belt jumped vigorously on my leg trying to take me down by blocking my heel and falling backwards locking my heel in place while i was stanging and i heard a huge crack. No time to tap. The idiot jumped on my leg trying to throw me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisp View Post
    It was a take down, a purple belt jumped vigorously on my leg trying to take me down by blocking my heel and falling backwards locking my heel in place while i was stanging and i heard a huge crack. No time to tap. The idiot jumped on my leg trying to throw me down.
    What a moron. A purple belt ought to know better than that. I hope he got disciplined by the instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    What a moron. A purple belt ought to know better than that. I hope he got disciplined by the instructor?
    No, the owner pretty much insulted me when I asked more care be taken with beginners. I had literally less than 2 months of training. The emails he sent me and everyone who read them pretty much universally said that his behavior was no way to run a business. Almost two years later and I still have trouble going down stairs...to have a time machine....

I had a complete severing of my ACL in BJJ at Savarese BJJ in New jersey in may 2019. I was a brand new beginner on a 3 month trial. Ended up getting a patella tendon graft in and i still have trouble going down stairs. If I knew a 3 month BJJ trial would turn into the nightmare it has for me Id have never walked in the door. A purple belt did it to me no less. Doctor advised me to not go back to that stuff, after that I will stick shooting. Dont need anymore hospital bills, inability to work and life altering injuries. If you are in a profession at arms it might be different. For me, the risk vs reward is not there.
    reading this just pisses me off. Absolutely no reason for it.Hope you heal fully!

No, the owner pretty much insulted me when I asked more care be taken with beginners. I had literally less than 2 months of training. The emails he sent me and everyone who read them pretty much universally said that his behavior was no way to run a business. Almost two years later and I still have trouble going down stairs...to have a time machine....
    Seriously? That's entirely unacceptable. If only for the time machine, indeed.