Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAK?

Default DAK?

As far as DAO pistols go Iíd rate the DAK as the best. Although thatís kind of like saying youíre dating the hottest chick at Fat Camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jon Payne; 01-15-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

I own 4 Sigs with DAK triggers, 2 P229s and 2 P239s, and they are my most carried handguns these days. I've owned them for several years and have grown to appreciate the trigger system. I would compare them to a good, smooth and lightened S&W double action revolver trigger. I say let your friend try out his P229 with the DAK trigger and see what he thinks. You can always change it to DA/SA later.

I've only ever shot one DAK (a 229), but I really liked it. The trigger was smooth, not at all heavy, and consistent. I wouldn't be able to run one as fast as I can run a Glock, but I definitely got accurate hits. If it runs good as is, I'd be inclined to leave it alone. Why mess with a good thing?
    Virtute et Armis

My PD was issued conventional DA/SA Sig 226s & 228s in 9mm in 1988. In the fall of 2004 we transitioned to the DAK Sigs in .40 in the 226 and 229. (In October of 2013 we switched to Glock 22s)

At that time (2004) Sig was offering a great trade-in deal. We got the DAK guns with night sights for about $125 plus the trade in of the old guns. (officers had the option to buy their old guns if they wanted and a few guys (including the recently retired) did so)

The DAK trigger is unusual in that there are TWO sear set points. The closer reset point is about 8 lbs of pull, and the far sear set point is about 6.5 lbs of pull. It's hard to explain, but easier to understand once you have an example to shoot or at least dry fire a little. Apparently, one of the design parameters for SIG was to have a "second strike" capability in case of a misfire. I'm not sure if that's crucial or not, but it was something they considered when Herr Kellerman designed the new trigger system.

After some experimentation, we put factory "short" triggers in all the guns to reduce the length of pull between the backstrap and the face of the trigger, thus giving the user a little more leverage. I have big hands and long fingers and still I shot better with a short trigger. (I read someplace that all the DAK Sigs that DHS ordered had short triggers, but I don't know that for a fact)

When shooting, it works best FOR ME if I contact the face of the trigger with the pad of my finger. Some like contacting the face of the trigger with the crease of the first joint, like on a revolver. What option works best for you depends on the length of your fingers and your grip strength. When I shot the DAK with the crease of the first joint in contact with the trigger, I tended to pull shots high right.

I'd like the DAK better if the trigger stroke was shorter. The trigger stroke is light but L-O-N-G.

I had a number of my officers REALLY mad at me after we made the switch -- they were used to that short/light sear reset in SA mode and haven't practiced enough to get used to the DAK.

I shoot IPSC and IDPA matches at the local level once in a while, and I found that with the DAK Sig I had to downshift about half a gear to manage the long trigger stroke and still get accurate hits. (And I'm not that fast to begin with . . . being smooth & accurate is my game, rather than speed)

All in all, as an instructor I guess I was SLIGHTLY more comfortable with my PD having self-decocking guns. Once in a while the mildly baffled/inexperienced shooter will reholster or move with the traditional DA/SA gun still cocked, and if they do that in a simple shooting exercise on the square range, they're much more likely to do it under stress. We also saw this when shooting in low light. Having a self-decocking gun precludes this as a possibility.

Philosphically, my attitude is that we shouldn't select equipment based on least-common-denominator skill sets. However, in my old age I've become more realistic about what you can accomplish training wise with cops that only shoot 4 times a year . . .
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International

My issue gun was a P226 DAK for a little over 10 years. I liked the system better than I thought I would, but the two resets thing with the DAK was weird to me. We now have the P320, so I relegated the .357 to the bedside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Philosphically, my attitude is that we shouldn't select equipment based on least-common-denominator skill sets. However, in my old age I've become more realistic about what you can accomplish training wise with cops that only shoot 4 times a year . . .
    I agree with you on that, but not even all of my crew practices as frequently as I recommend, and to the local PD that lets me use their range I'm "that guy who uses our range more than we do." Not a bad reputation to have, but it says something about priorities and budgets.

Try one qual a year, with low-round low light shoots and such six times yearly, NO live fire at yearly refresher training.

If I didn't shoot on my own, I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-21-2020 at 07:40 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:16

Was issued a Sig Sauer P229 DAK and carried it for several years prior to being issued a Glock 22. I really love Sig Sauer P series pistols in the SA/DA configuration and disliked the DAK. I learned to use it well because of issuance, but prefer the SA/DA models. I was happy to transition from the DAK to the Glock.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.