Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAK?

Default DAK?

A buddy of mine traded into a p229 DAK. As a certified sig armorer I understand that this is a mechanically solid pistol. I am thinking he should pay the money to have it converted to DA/SA.

I would welcome your thoughts on this question.

I think SIGS shine in their original da/sa format.

Let 'er rip

Jake
    Last edited by Jake Salyards; 01-14-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    Wait for the Lord. Behave yourself manfully, and be of good courage.
    Do not be faithless, but stay in your place and do not turn back.
    Thomas Kempis

So I did training for a couple of agencies that used DAO weapons. One was the VA Police with DAO Berettas...and there was another agency...OCONUS that used DAK SIGs. I think that a DAO and DAK can be used well. They area acceptable for low dedication personnel, or those saddled with lazy staff instructors...or (here is the politically incorrect side of me NFSW) or staffed by lazy and stupid personnel who cannot be trusted to decock their pistols or wipe their own arses after crapping.

I like SIGs...alot. I wish SIG DA/SA were as popular and Glocks...I have several. If I was the recipient of a DAK SIG, I would 100% transition it to a DA/SA.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Next on my list is a P226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

I started my civilian career with a DAK 229 in .357. I loved it, I realize I am in the small minority here that like the trigger system. I shot it very well. We switched to glock and I just stuck with the Austrian wonder.

I can understand why an organization that doesn’t want to bother training their people to decock a pistol would adopt them. I can see circumstances where you might give a DAO or DAK pistol to a novice. And of course if you like the system and shoot it well, then by all means, stick with DAO/DAK.

If it was me, I’d convert it. I see no value in DAK for those willing to master the traditional DA/SA system.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Convert it. Parts cost is minimal; shop around. The benefits are tangible, including resale value.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

183. And a wakeup.

Out of curiosity... I've never shot a DAK, so I'm trying to understand the trigger. Is it just a long, DAO trigger pull every time, or is it long-but-somewhat-lighter than DA, such as the HK LEM trigger? Either way, I'm assuming it has a super long reset, such as the LEM? Thanks...
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Reset is everything. The reset should be crisp and tactile and immediate. Specifically why a SIG P226 is far better than a S&W M&P.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The nicest thing to say about the reset on a stock M&P trigger is that it's subtle.

Way too subtle for me. I suppose if a guy owns one that he'd get used to it, but being used to the obvious reset of a Glock and Sig, I have no interest in going down that road. My dad has a couple M&Ps, I had the triggers upgraded so the reset is obvious.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    Out of curiosity... I've never shot a DAK, so I'm trying to understand the trigger. Is it just a long, DAO trigger pull every time, or is it long-but-somewhat-lighter than DA, such as the HK LEM trigger? Either way, I'm assuming it has a super long reset, such as the LEM? Thanks...
    yep

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI