Default Neil Peart's 10 Rules for Success

I was saddened to hear that we lost Neil Peart last week. He had apparently been suffering from brain cancer the last 3 years. Rush was never my favorite band but they were always an incredible source of inspiration...they were not as approachable as many other popular bands but everyone familiar with them acknowledges their incredible skill and achievement. And for those that don't know, Neil Peart was a drumming master.

Peart has always been a huge inspiration for me, not only as a drummer but as an exemplar for how to relentlessly pursue excellence. His example applies not only to music but to any endeavor you pursue with passion.

I ran across the video below and found it worthwhile. To my knowledge, Peart didn't write this list, it's just something the video author compiled from different interviews. But I think Peart would probably approve. In my opinion, these guidelines are excellent for almost any context...music, business, fighting, teaching...it's something worth thinking about.

1. Earn your audience
    2. Be relentless
    3. Get out of your comfort zone
    4. Learn from others
    5. Create what you like
    6. Infect people with your fire
    7. Donít read reviews
    8. Create for your ideal audience
    9. Find your inspiration
    10. Never stop experimenting

(Regarding #2 - the video says "Be restless", but I think what they meant was "Relentless"...while both descriptions might fit for Peart, in this context I think Relentless is a much better fit.)

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

1. Earn your audience

I like this one a lot. I feel the same way when it comes to teaching whether it's in the dojo or on the range. You must fight to stay relevant and at the top of your game. You must always be performing at your best, at least as much as you physically can. Often times, I may only get one chance to train with a student. I want to give that person, who has sacrificed their time, money and attention to train with me, the best possible experience that I can. I want their experience to be memorable, I want them to be talking about it for years to come. I want to make an IMPACT.

How does this apply to business? How might this apply to your relationships? How does this apply to your personal goals?
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

2. Be relentless

In many ways this embodies the spirit of Warriortalk and Suarez International. Always pushing forward, always innovating, always driving for greater knowledge, skill and ability.

The relentless pursuit of excellence.

It is hard to sprint all the time. No one can put out 100% effort every second of every day, we all need a break. Need time for healing, for recharging. Take that time and pick it back up as often as you can.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

The one that speaks to me the most is #6 - Infect people with your fire.

That implies that you have a fire to begin with. Not everyone does, and those of us who do can find that sometimes your fire ebbs. Constantly finding inspiration, being creative, experimenting with new things...these can all stoke your fire.

The best and most interesting people to listen to have PASSION. The best way to sound eloquent is to have passion...few public speakers will be successful without it. Of course, passion has to be backed up with skill, experience, knowledge...there are many examples of those with passion backed up with nothing. But passion is necessary (just remember that it's not sufficient).

How do you translate your passion into infecting others with it? How do you demonstrate your fire?
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Great post. Copied the list to my personal journal.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Not familiar with the band but that list is solid advice!

Be relentless, get out of your comfort zone, learn from others, and never stop experimenting stand out the most for me. In my opinion those are the pillars to excellence.

Anything you want to really improve in requires that level of dedication. It's not just a hobby you do when you have time or remember to do it. You have to really want and pursue it. Be willing to go beyond the pale norm. And the further you go, the more lonely the path.

I don't recall if it was Brent or Greg who made the produce analogy about either growing or dying, but it goes right along with this list.

Being I play drums. What Neil Peart says is spot on!!! Played and practiced to many of Rush’s songs. Tom Sawyer being at the top of the list. That list covers all walks of life!!
    There is going to be a battle. People will die.
    SI Classes: AK marksmanship,AKRG, Defensive Knife, FOF

Thank you Brent. I was a huge fan in the 80’s, got to see them several times. Mr Peart was a very intelligent and private man, never seeking adulation but respected the audience and always providing his best to them.

The band lasted 40 years because they are a family and not a collection of ego’s.

Never seen the list before, thanks for posting

JB

Neil Peart Rip .
    It seems like they(Rush) were the cover band for
    Everyone in the 1980s. Enjoyed a lot live his live music.
    Good times .Thanks for bringing back those memories.
    To be a Lion you must Train with Lions!

Warriors confront the evil that most people refuse to acknowledge!