Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Check Your Setup and Gear!

I've always been a stickler for testing any change I make to my gear, EDC, etc. no matter how small. I had a minor thing happen this morning that drove home the importance of this.

For background, I do fugitive recovery for bail bond companies as my day job. All of the gear I wear (which is quite a bit) except for my body camera is concealed. I want to be able to get as close to my fugitive as possible before he knows who I am. Also, I'm 6'5", so some of my body camera videos don't quite show as much as I'd sometimes like when I'm close to someone. I wanted to experiment with wearing the camera lower in order to get a better view, but first I knew I had to test it.

This morning for my dry fire session before work, I put all of my gear on and positioned the camera lower than normal. On my first draw, I immediately realized that this change wasn't going to work. The camera was in the way of clearing my shirt, as well as drawing my pistol. If I had just started wearing the camera lower without testing it, things would have been more....interesting....in a gunfight. So again, the moral of the story: ALWAYS TEST YOUR GEAR AND YOUR SETUP.

The best class I've ever attended for testing your gear and setup is Pistol Ground Fighting. You will quickly learn if your holster is in a good position, if your gun will needlessly snag on your shirt, if your reloads will fall out, if your holster (or holsters) can stand the rigors of ground fighting, and much more. Brent has two of them coming up. The first one is Feb. 8-9 in Seattle (click here for more info), and the second one is Feb. 29-Mar. 1 in Kansas City (click here for more info). I'll be at the Kansas City class, as well. I highly recommend that you attend, and that you wear your gear like you normally wear it. Also, bring some new things to experiment with. I did this with an ankle holster the last time I attended PGF. At PGF, you'll be able to fine-tune your equipment as you learn how to dominate a gunfight that goes to the ground.
    Last edited by Eric Tull; 01-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Agreed.

PGF is also where I discovered the lanyard I had my GU on wasn't the best idea if I could help it. I put a pull the dot loop on shortly after.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Agreed.

PGF is also where I discovered the lanyard I had my GU on wasn't the best idea if I could help it. I put a pull the dot loop on shortly after.
    Yes sir, PGF convinced me of the superiority of pull the dot loop on holsters, as well. Sometimes a lanyard is what works best with your clothing, but go with pull the dot loops if you can.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Pull the dot loops on a concealment holster is an interesting concept. Does anybody make one?

I would also be concerned about one hand reholstering with such a setup.

--ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    Pull the dot loops on a concealment holster is an interesting concept. Does anybody make one?

I would also be concerned about one hand reholstering with such a setup.

--ML
    I have been using soft loops for well over 10 years. Most people seem to like Plastic clips; I have never understood why. The majority that I have used are slower to take on and off and they are more prone to failure. Many times in force on force I see students draw their gun along with the holster still attached.

One handed re-holstering is no different than any other method of attaching the holster to the belt.

Lots of makers use loops, but demand seems to be higher for plastic clips. So that is mostly what you see. You can replace the clip with the loops
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon - pending
    Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I see PTD loops on all kinds of concealment holsters. The only time I run a holster with a clip is in workout attire, and I now use the Ulti-clips, not the plastic clips. With many holsters it's easy to switch over to loops. You can sometimes find cheap, unworthy holsters that can be turned into something useful by the simple act of changing over the belt attachment to PTD loops.

And I echo Eric's recommendation of the Pistol Groundfighting class. If I were structuring the ideal training program for a novice gunfighter, I would start with 0-5, then PGF, then move "backward" to the CRG and basic marksmanship material. I rank the ability to keep your gun higher than the ability to get 25y hits.
    Virtute et Armis

Everything I use is PTD straps, unless it's on a lanyard for deep concealment purposes. Pistol Groundfighting will really test your gear choices.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Everything I use is PTD straps, unless it's on a lanyard for deep concealment purposes. Pistol Groundfighting will really test your gear choices.
    Same.

I only use the lanyard style when I have no other choice, when the need for concealment trumps everything else.

An NPE trigger guard holster on a lanyard is one thing...that is your primary weapon, it is what needs to be concealed, and it is what you will be going for. When you have more than one thing on a lanyard (say a pistol and a knife) things can get untenable. Too much shit “floating around”. When things are hands on (stand up or ground), if not actively drawing the pistol you will at least be focused on retaining it. We don’t have enough hands to draw/retain a pistol and a knife and the same time...all while attempting to avoid the other guy hurting you. Particularly when on the ground, if you need to go for your knife you will find that it’s not there. Things move around when on a lanyard.

It may be worth it anyway, but recognize that a lanyard isn’t as stable/reliable as a loop.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Well, I sure misunderstood. I thought that he was talking about pull the dot snaps to retain the pistol in the holster.

I fully agree with them to retain the holster on the belt. I gave up clips long ago.

-- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    Well, I sure misunderstood. I thought that he was talking about pull the dot snaps to retain the pistol in the holster.

I fully agree with them to retain the holster on the belt. I gave up clips long ago.

-- ML
    Ah, that makes sense.

I'm not a fan of retention devices on a primary concealed pistol. For those that carry more than one, I can absolutely see some type of retention for a concealed second pistol, if it's on the belt.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: