Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In short, yes. Depends on the context of course; terrorist with a bomb vest is a different threat level than a mugger.

In the kata it serves as a functional transition between sections of the kata. Actual application may be different (you won’t need to turn around for instance). But there are different applications as alluded to in the video. Dropping to a knee can be used in both proactive and reactive circumstances. Might be behind cover, braced against a wall, etc.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Close Range Gunfighting 3, Oregon
    Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I remember a discussion or blog post from a while back that related in brief a terrorist interdiction before a bomb went off or a shot was fired that involved part of the LEO team Gabe was assisting taking a knee to brace a shot to the back of the terrorist's head. Could work out as a semi-supported shooting position as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    I remember a discussion or blog post from a while back that related in brief a terrorist interdiction before a bomb went off or a shot was fired that involved part of the LEO team Gabe was assisting taking a knee to brace a shot to the back of the terrorist's head. Could work out as a semi-supported shooting position as well.
    After that training evolution, the LEO adamantly told me "that will never work."

Not long after, I'm told he was caught on his mic saying "Shit, it worked."

Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    The idea is simple - perform the pistol kata once each day in 2020. If you miss a day or two, just do the kata twice for a few days.

Ideally, do all three (Diagonal Lines, Watch Your Back, and Changing Levels). But if you're struggling to learn them all, just do Diagonal Lines. The others will come.

We are all pressed for time and there are not enough hours in the day to train everything that we want. But the pistol kata can be performed in less than 5 minutes even if you're going SLOW.

Another idea to measure your progress - FILM YOURSELF. I guarantee you that what you film on day 30 will be much better than what you did on day 1. Imagine what it will look like on day 366.

More practice is better. But 5 minutes of practice a day is better than 5 hours of practice that you only do every other month. Not only will you improve over time, but it will keep those skills fresh every day.

I am reminded of Eric Tull's comment about his gun fight: "It was just like what we do in practice."
    This is a spectacular idea. The katas encapsulate everything you want to be able to do without thinking. If you practice this stuff regularly, it's what you'll automatically do in a gunfight, like flipping a switch. And I can say from personal experience that it's what you want to do in a gunfight.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Default 2020 Training Goals - Pistol Kata

I feel like there should be a Suarez version of this one day. Old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christopher Calhoun; 01-08-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Um, awful, horrid grammar
    Chris

Day 6 for me, working on Diagonal Lines. It’s starting to come together and I’m seeing some of the nuances of the template.

This really is a fantastic way to get thousands of reps in. Tonight I went through each direction 5 times, that’s 20 reps of drawing from concealment, reloading the pistol, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tull View Post
    This is a spectacular idea. The katas encapsulate everything you want to be able to do without thinking. If you practice this stuff regularly, it's what you'll automatically do in a gunfight, like flipping a switch. And I can say from personal experience that it's what you want to do in a gunfight.
    Yes indeed. The kata is excellent, I'm loving it.
    **Mike Ronin on FaceBook**

**Spero optimus instruo pro pessimus**

**Out of destruction rises opportunity. We are only defeated when we give up. Never, ever give up. (Phil 4:13)**

I finally remembered to order the dvd. It should be interesting to see how long it takes me to remember the patterns. I have ingrained all the moves over the years I just haven't strung them together like this. Should be fun.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I finally remembered to order the dvd. It should be interesting to see how long it takes me to remember the patterns. I have ingrained all the moves over the years I just haven't strung them together like this. Should be fun.
    Diagonal Lines will be easy for you. Watch Your Back perhaps less so but the principles are the same, some of the details are just different.

And I know you've already been exposed to some of the stuff in Changing Levels.

Integrating things into a pattern should be easy for you. What I like about kata is that it's a constant source of value and sharpening. Even when you're exceptionally good at it (especially when you're good at it), you find deeper meaning with more practice. Things that aren't obvious from the start.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: