Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default .22 shooting for practice

Any guys into shooting .22's for practice/competition? Apparently there is are a sizable number of guys that are into .22 shooting. Something new to me.

Years ago I shot a lot of 22lr. You are right, the rim fire shooting sports world is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Years ago I shot a lot of 22lr. You are right, the rim fire shooting sports world is huge.
    I ran across an FB group. Not uncommon for guys to spend 1K++ on a rifle and glass....I had no idea that this market was so popular
    Last edited by stankasz1; 01-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Iím not sure if itís really ďpracticeĒ, in order to really get better I think full recoil rounds you are going to shoot for proper grip and recoil timing. I would consider it more like for fun....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I shoot an informal NRA 900 pistol bullseye match about once a week with target .22 pistols like the S&W model 41. This is not combat practice and it is not the practice that the OP is thinking about. I do have an Advantage conversion kit for one of my glock pistols and also a Ceiner for the 1911. i find them useful, but of course one must also do centerfire loads also. Airsoft also has its place.
    They make good conversion kits for the 5.56 chambered ARs and that is one advantage of the AR system. I plan to get one.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

FWIW, I have a 22 in most actions that I have center fires in. (Marlin 39 to match a 1894, for example.). I find these useful in low cost practice of drills, along with other uses.

Rimfires are awesome. Iíve got a rimfire understudy for my pistol and my carbine, as well as a rimfire sniper rifle. It isnít just about saving money on ammo. Rimfires are fun.
    Virtute et Armis

81265130_10215763362186102_8673607731816431616_n.jpg

Like this. Some are bolt action, but much more spendy than a 10/22

I do use the .22 CCI quiet loads for squirrel control. The expensive pellet guns with suppressor are maybe less noisy, but the rim fire CZ452 with timney trigger is overall cheaper, more durable, and more flexible for what it can be used for.
    There are some indoor ranges that do not allow anything bigger than .22 also.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have been looking at the Glock 44 in 22 long rifle! It would be great to have a 22 that mimics the larger one I carried. I love my Ruger 1022, both for just blinking and for serious hunting. I need to get my Marlin 39A lever action out and play cowboy!

A 22 is a great beginner trainer and has its use in refresher training.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!