Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .22 shooting for practice

Any guys into shooting .22's for practice/competition? Apparently there is are a sizable number of guys that are into .22 shooting. Something new to me.

Years ago I shot a lot of 22lr. You are right, the rim fire shooting sports world is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Years ago I shot a lot of 22lr. You are right, the rim fire shooting sports world is huge.
    I ran across an FB group. Not uncommon for guys to spend 1K++ on a rifle and glass....I had no idea that this market was so popular
    Last edited by stankasz1; 01-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.

I’m not sure if it’s really “practice”, in order to really get better I think full recoil rounds you are going to shoot for proper grip and recoil timing. I would consider it more like for fun....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I shoot an informal NRA 900 pistol bullseye match about once a week with target .22 pistols like the S&W model 41. This is not combat practice and it is not the practice that the OP is thinking about. I do have an Advantage conversion kit for one of my glock pistols and also a Ceiner for the 1911. i find them useful, but of course one must also do centerfire loads also. Airsoft also has its place.
    They make good conversion kits for the 5.56 chambered ARs and that is one advantage of the AR system. I plan to get one.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

FWIW, I have a 22 in most actions that I have center fires in. (Marlin 39 to match a 1894, for example.). I find these useful in low cost practice of drills, along with other uses.

I have .22 S&W revolver as a range toy, its just fun, other than that no 'practica'l value.

Real youngsters, like 6-8 years old, I start on air rifles. Very quickly they can progress to .22 rifles, then .22 pistols. I teach the fundamentals with the .22’s, and the transition to center fires is easy. I enjoy shooting .22’s with them. It’s easier to discover a flinch. Plinking with .22’s is real fun.

As for practice with a .22 for aggressive pistol shooting, I find it helps with speed shooting on steel. If I can’t do it well with a .22, I won’t be able to do any better with 9mm.

I also find shooting the different actions in .22’s (DA/SA revolvers and different pistols) fun, interesting and cost effective. Again, if you can’t do it with the little caliber, it’s unlikely you can do it with bigger ones.
    Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be. Hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come

I did one of those Appleseed shoots a few months ago. You can use any kind of rifle you want, but most folks use .22's (often Ruger 10/22's). I got a lot out of it and plan to do it again, probably repeatedly.

Understood that shooting a one inch group at 25 yards does not necessarily mean you will be able to shoot a four inch group at 100 yards. But if you can't shoot the one inch group at 25 yards...

I might also try to do some of those "long range" .22 matches ("long range" means like 200 yards here) if I ever get the hang of shorter distances.

Quote Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
    Real youngsters, like 6-8 years old, I start on air rifles. Very quickly they can progress to .22 rifles, then .22 pistols. I teach the fundamentals with the .22’s, and the transition to center fires is easy. I enjoy shooting .22’s with them. It’s easier to discover a flinch. Plinking with .22’s is real fun.
    Oh, another great use, introducing new shooters. I am honestly not the world's biggest Glock guy but a baby Glock with an AA conversion unit is my go-to for newbies, especially females.