Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Was discussing this with a friend who is part of his church armed security team, he commented that this bad guy being on the perimeter was a win for the good guys. Picture this event going down in the center aisle?

His team gets training with local PD and runs drills, but it’s not real, until it’s real. I bet a lot of church teams are reviewing this. Shot placement is key, and the first good guy did very well.

Church of Christ Shooting: 3 Dead In White Settlement, Texas
    https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/churc...rist-shooting/

Three people were killed after a shooting took place at the West Freeway Church of Christ located in White Settlement, Texas.

MedStar spokeswoman Macara Trusty confirmed that one person died at the scene of the shooting, and one person died en route to the hospital. Hospital officials confirmed that one of these victims was the shooter. The third victim was transported to a hospital in critical condition, but was later pronounced dead by White Settlement police chief J.P. Bevering.

One victim was identified as Deacon Anton “Tony” Wallace. He was 64. The second victim was identified as Rich White by KTXS reporter Daniela Ibarra.

The Church of Christ was live-streaming their Sunday services on their YouTube channel, and while the motive remains unclear, a man is firing off two shots while church-goers ducked under their seats in fear. The video, which has since been removed from the church’s YouTube channel, also showed an armed security guard, identified as Jack Wilson, taking down the gunman with a single shot.

Church Security Member: Jack Wilson (71) took down the gunman with a single shot from his SIG P229 (.357 SIG).
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Is it just me or does that look more like a 25 yard shot? Makes me want a 357 Sig!

i could hit at 25.....but under pressure.....better train more

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    John,
    I saw the flash at the perp too, and initially thought
    he had shot himself, but the liveleak vid has a better
    resolution and I then realized he turned & fired a
    round toward the pulpit at the same instant he
    was hit by the church member to the extreme left.
    Watching at half speed you can see his handgun
    recoil, but seems to somewhat obscured by the
    video's frame rate.

Thanks! I'll look through it all again.

John W in SC

Quote Originally Posted by bassbones View Post
    Is it just me or does that look more like a 25 yard shot? Makes me want a 357 Sig!

i could hit at 25.....but under pressure.....better train more

JB
    Standard spacing on pews is 3-4 feet. So 10 to 15 yards.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

We do not seem to have a lot of details about the shotgun, but two shots fired by the goblin at civilians and two dead civilians. A third shot appears to have been fired as he was shot. Shows just how deadly shotguns are at close range.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 12-30-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

https://www.fox4news.com/news/gunman...ice-identified

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ri...hurch/2283777/

Shooter identified and further background info on him. Multiple arrests over the years in several states.

Good interview with the shooter in M1A's post.

My takeaways:
    Shotguns and head shots are brutally effective.
    SOB holsters suck, but at least he stood in the arena.
    Beware of desensitization by subject.
    Practice shooting moving targets.
    SI is on top of their game.
    Good may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

Good room lighting enabled the head shot on the moving target at ~30 feet. With dimmed TED talk style lighting used at some congregations, a head shot would have been much more difficult. Weapon lights for the safety team or turn sanctuary lights on for suspicious characters should be SOP for such locations.

Saw an interview fragment somewhere I've lost.
    He said "I was worried about people in the pews moving into my line of fire for the body shot, so I took the time to line up the headshot."