Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default S&W 629 vs S&W 69

Who has handled them? What do you think?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Who has handled them? What do you think?
    I have two 629 44 Magnum revolvers. One is a 3” and one is a 7.5” Performance Center version with a red dot.

I have handled a 29 but never shot one.

I only shoot full power magnums.

I find the recoil to be quite light but I have excellent follow up shots.

I shoot my 454 Casull regularly with Buffalo Bore 360 grain cast lead bullets which I can shoot fast but I am working on my recovery for follow up shots. I don’t find the recoil to be punishing.

The 500 S&W has moderate recoil but recovery is significantly slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 629 is a purpose built six shot N frame. It has a long history of strength and while it should not be fed a large quantity of heavy loads, it is built around a strong frame that has handled much for 3/4ths of a century.

The 69 is an L frame revolver (originally designed to carry a 357 magnum max) that can shoot the 44 Magnum in a 5 shot format. This is only possible due to modern metallurgy. It is a great idea for a back woods “more portable” firearm, but is not designed around a steady diet of true magnum level loads.

Both of these in modern form come from the factory in a round butt configuration and nearly any size hand can be fit as there are a huge assortment of aftermarket grips in both round and square (conversion) configuration. If you are looking for something to carry a lot while hiking the back country and only use in an emergency, then the 69 would be excellent. If you are going to shoot quite a bit...I would strongly recommend using the full N frame of the 629 (and keep that extra shot).

I had a 6" 629 for nearly 20 years, shot it often and always used full power loads. Recoil wasn't bad, accuracy was excellent. Unfortunately I traded it off and have long since regretted it. I did keep my 6" Mod 29, love it, although I don't shoot it as much anymore. I really need too change that!

Well...we would do a Heavy Revolver Class up here and I'd even get one of our local backwoods guys to tell us bear stories, but I don't know if that would be worthwhile or exciting enough in the age of enterTRAINment.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

89E866A5-DB61-4401-9FF1-B6C2AC7941EC.jpeg

1955 45, with both LC and ACP capability. Heavy revolver class sounds interesting.
    Last edited by 45Smashemflat; 12-27-2019 at 04:30 PM.

I shot revolvers a lot.

and while I live my K and L frames my favorites are still my N Frames. All 8 of them. Give them a truly great action job (there is a lot more to this than you think). And they are truly amazing guns.

I have shot the Model 69 and just don’t care for it. 1 less round and lack of speed loaders from HKS or Safariland make it a no go for me.

I’ll stick with my 629/625 Mountain Guns.

fornthe 44 vs 45 Colt debate the 44 wins if you cannot go to stronger revolvers like the Redhawk or single action Rugers. If you can go to the stronger guns with the really hot 325 grain loads then the 45 Colt outruns the 44 Mag a fair bit.

one thing a lot of folks don’t factor in when arguing me merits of either caliber is what can you physically handle. I will tell you that hot loads that you can manage in a 6” 629 can turn into the “prison love experience in a Scandium 329 PD.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Well...we would do a Heavy Revolver Class up here and I'd even get one of our local backwoods guys to tell us bear stories, but I don't know if that would be worthwhile or exciting enough in the age of enterTRAINment.
    Just hold the class up in Grizzly country. Somewhere in Montana or Idaho. Make sure those in attendance gets it to get a glimpse of a grizzly in their natural habitat. That would be keeping it real!

Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    ... and lack of speed loaders from HKS or Safariland make it a no go for me...
    The sperdloaders for the Chartet Bulldog should fit.

I have no experience with the Model 69. But I would love to try one.

--ML

See right there that’s the thing.

I don’t want something that should fit I want something purpose built for the task.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.