Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default UPDATING REVOLVERS

627ICORE_open.jpg

Again, to restate, in my opinion there are only two viable purposes for a revolver in 2020. One is as a deep concealment piece. The other is as a backwoods anti-animal defense weapon. In the world of weapons such as Glocks, SIGs, CZ, etc., I would never consider the carry of a revolver for anti-personnel use in the urban setting.

For deep concealment use, most of the viable weapons need little work other than trigger smoothing and some reliability work. My preference on these are the various S&W J-Frames and I would select them over anything from Ruger, but that is as much a factor of choice and preference. Both will invariably need some optimizing so bemoaning the modern offerings and rolling the eyes back to revolvers of the 1960s is a waste of time as even the old pieces rarely came perfect. I see these areas of improvement limited to perhaps adding modern sights, a smoothed trigger and general removal of the sharp edges. For this use having a covered or shrouded hammer is essential and at the minimal, a dehorned hammer is essential.

For the backwoods defense pistol, we see the same requirements as we have for the optimal street fighter pistol with the requirement for a caliber sufficient to take down most north American animals. Again, my opinion is that a heavily loaded 41, or 44 magnum is the choice and a heavy 45 Colt is close. I think a DA is far preferable to any SA weapon. My preference again is S&W (model 29, 57, etc.), but the Ruger Redhawk has a strong position here as well.

Again, the main requirement here is self defense gainst animals and not a hunting weapon for proactive use. And the ability to carry it comfortably puts a weight limit on it. What that is will be an individual matter but a lighter weapon is a better choice here. It is a rare man that can AIWB carry a 500 S&W Magnum. So before we get into the Clint Eastwood caliber race, lets agree that lighter weapons with potent calibers that can be carried concealed are the norm here.

For these I would seek to keep the barrel in the 4-5" realm, dehorn the piece as much as possible to remove sharp edges and snagging points. The trigger would need tuning for a smooth and manageable DA and a super crisp SA. The hammer would remain in evidence for those times when a SA shot is desirable, but minimized to avoid the oversized snagging that sometimes happens. A red dot with back up irons would be the top choice...something that doesn't yet exist in the market. And a set of grips to fit the user's hand. Some form of comp would be a good idea here as well since we have determined that one does not detract from emergency application.

Ammo is a funny thing - when talk turns to revolvers everyone wants to discuss reloads. I do not as the current market has more good choices from general uses to boutique sources than ever before. Like for urban self defense use, I prefer factory ammo designed for the purpose the weapon is intended for.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

8AA9E6B2-08CE-45DA-A196-959B50FE5B85.jpg
    That is the stuff I was talking about. From what research I did, some of the hollow point ammo won’t expand with the snub nose. This stuff looked pretty good....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    8AA9E6B2-08CE-45DA-A196-959B50FE5B85.jpg
    That is the stuff I was talking about. From what research I did, some of the hollow point ammo won’t expand with the snub nose. This stuff looked pretty good....
    You said you loaded it backwards which gave us the belief you were running reloads.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    You said you loaded it backwards which gave us the belief you were running reloads.
    I was trying to find a picture....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I also run the HST in my snub, they look like a flush loaded wadcutter, upside down. Obviously they aren't, they are purpose designed as a JHP loaded flush in the case. And IME they expand out of a SW 640 and a Colt Cobra at 3 and 5 yards. Farther Im not sure, I haven't seen a need to check
    Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

War is not moral...fighting of any sort, is not moral. It is about killing the adversary. So here is the rule. Do what you need to do to win...have a ready explanation to justify it according to whatever rules you are supposed to be playing with...work only with people you can trust or work alone...then stick to your story and keep your mouth shut.

I've done some gel tests with the HST 38 SPL +P load. In my J frame I've been getting 11" of penetration in 10% clear ballistics gel consistently. Doesn't seem to matter if its bare gel or covered with clothing, the HST load seems to expand great and penetrate fairly well for a snub load.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who keep their swords. -Benjamin Franklin

What are your opinions on higher round count 357 Magnum revolvers (7-8 rounds)?

I carry an Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a belt holster when hunting but recently acquired a chest rig that allows a better management of weight. Same goes for my S&W 500 and S&W Performance Center 627 2.5 8 Shot 357 Magnum, which I have specific chest rigs for, respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dunno...if I am going to carry a revolver, I am more likely to opt for a 44 magnum Model 29 version. The 357 IMHO (and I could be totally wrong on this as anything else) doesn't do much more than a hot 9mm, 40 S&W or 357 SIG. If I am limiting to the platform and the capacity, it may as well be more powerful. If I am concerned about people I opt for 9mm. If for smaller predators and people, either a super hot 40 or a 357 SIG. If for big animals, I will go with a 44 magnum.

The super-44 category, I don't know enough about. I do know that if I need a sling or a special chest rig to carry the thing, I may as well be carrying a 12 ga Pointman or Jungle gun.
    Gabriel Suarez

Oh...and I know about the Casull...but I believe that DA is a requirement for a Large Predator Defense Pistol. IMHO, it needs to be able to be carried in the belt...same AIWB as anything else...and concealed for those places that frown on backwoods carry.
    Gabriel Suarez

While my daily carry is an auto, my woods gun is almost always a revolver. Either stand alone, or as a companion piece to the carried rifle or shotgun. (Often chambered in the same caliber.). For all of the reasons stated earlier, plus the ability to spool up several different loads. You can “dial up” what you need. Typically, in my neck of the woods, I keep 1-2 shot shell loads up front because my most common danger issue is “Mr No Shoulders.” Then I follow with hollow points or solids depending on the revolver in question, and game expected. N Frame 45 or 44, or Model 19 357s have all filled this role. I’ve also used a 45ACP chambered model 25, and a couple of moon clips, for a long term hidden back up piece. Common ammo with the 1911, and it can lay around for decades with almost 0 upkeep.

The revolver is not obsolete. As you guys say, think niche...