Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    I believe there is a place in every man's arsenal for a rugged bolt action rifle such as an K98 Mauser, an Enfield, Nagant, or something similar. Basic, rugged, and reliable has a lot to offer when things "go South".
    Not quite the same thing, but that's one reason I got a Savage Scout rifle to use for deer hunting; I can do other stuff with it, too, and it's one of the only lighter, more modern rifles that has decent aperture irons on it.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    On Isaphores I would stick to nothing hotter than how the british and Indians loaded the 7.62x51. There there are some hot .308 commercial loads might be more than the enfield actions were rated for.
    I agree. They shoot great with basic 147 grain 7.62X51.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post

I think they were kept in service for so long due to their reliability in the Canadian winters... The Danish Sirius Dog Sled Patrol in Greenland still use the M1917 for the same reason.
    Gonna ballpark that both outfits have it in the back of their heads that they may need to stop a polar bear.

Get to thinking along those lines, the 5.7X28 all of a sudden doesn't seem like such a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Gonna ballpark that both outfits have it in the back of their heads that they may need to stop a polar bear.

Get to thinking along those lines, the 5.7X28 all of a sudden doesn't seem like such a great idea.

I think it is the Norwegians that were issuing out 8mm mauser rifles for polar bears. The 8x57 with full loads is right up there with the .30-06 and the 196 load sounds like a good one.

Horatio Chapple inquest: Svalbard polar bear risk 'is serious'

By Alex Littlewood BBC News, Svalbard, Norway

• 18 July 2014

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-28324707
    The "last line of defence" is a Mauser 98 bolt-action rifle - these were standard German issue during World War One.
    It is old, heavy and single shot but its reliability in frozen conditions means it is the main rifle used for safety on Svalbard.
    The same type of rifle was used by BSES and I am shown the different safety-catch stages. In one setting the trigger can be pulled without the weapon firing. The position of the safety catch during the polar bear attack may have been the reason why the rifle did not fire.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Svalberg must be an interesting place:

https://www.sysselmannen.no/en/weapon/renting-firearms/

Firearms for protection against polar bears can be rented from authorised firearms dealers in Svalbard. Processing of applications for renting firearms can take up to one month. The following requirements apply:

Private individuals over the age of 18 must apply to the office of the Governor of Svalbard for permission to rent a rifle for protection against polar bears.
    Foreign nationals who have not lived in Norway for the last five years must submit a certificate of good conduct from their home country. The certificate must be translated into Norwegian or English. The certificate of good conduct must not be older than six months old and must be translated by a certified translator.

Svalberg must be an interesting place:

https://www.sysselmannen.no/en/weapon/renting-firearms/

Firearms for protection against polar bears can be rented from authorised firearms dealers in Svalbard. Processing of applications for renting firearms can take up to one month. The following requirements apply:

Private individuals over the age of 18 must apply to the office of the Governor of Svalbard for permission to rent a rifle for protection against polar bears.
    Foreign nationals who have not lived in Norway for the last five years must submit a certificate of good conduct from their home country. The certificate must be translated into Norwegian or English. The certificate of good conduct must not be older than six months old and must be translated by a certified translator.
    Interesting place yes and one must be crazy to want to sleep in a tent on the tundra or where ever in the arctic wherever it might be that has polar bears wondering around. if I wanted to go north I will try a resort in Greenland.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 01-08-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Almost certainly... It's not like either is running into a lot of people threats in those extreme environments. But reliability is reliability.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

.303 Lee Enfields in Canada. 8mm Mausers in Svalberg. 7.62 M-N's in Russia. 30-06 1917's in Norway. .30-06 Springfields and Model 70's in Alaska.

Is it my imagination, or is there some kind of a pattern developing here?

If yuu mean .30 calibre bolt action rifles having the power and range to handle dangerous animals like Polar Bears and reliability in the harshest climates, then the answer is yes.

And now with the new factory premium bullet loads even the largest bears aren't safe. I would feel comfortable going to the Alaskan interior with. M70 and 200 gr bonded bullets at 2600 fps.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22