Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ***Range Update***

So I got her out to the range today to finish barrel break in and scope dual in. After I had the scope zeroed I shot a few 5 round groups using Hornady Vintage ammo. I’m an average shot, maybe a little better but over 3 groups each starting from a cooled barrel I averaged about 1.75 MOA. The interesting thing was that the first 3 shots of each group were cloverleafed and the last two rounds opened up the groups.

I’m quite impressed and happy with the rifle and I look forward to seeing what handloads can get me down to.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

What’s the old saying?

The Germans went to war with a hunting rifle, the Americans with a target rifle, only the Brits brought a battle rifle...

That repro is a thing of beauty!!

Beautiful rifle.

Makes me wish I'd kept my first No.4 and done something like that with it. It would shoot like that with irons and my 20 years younger eyes at the time.

Very Nice rifle build! IRC the Canadian Rangers are just giving up their Lee Enfields for a Tikka Bolt action in .308 with a detachable mag. I think they have used the Enfields since the end of WWII.

Nice rifle! Always been a fan of surplus firearms. I picked up an Ishapore 2A1, which the action is definitely smooth. I just didnít want to get an original Enfield in .303. Maybe one day when I setup a spot to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    The magazines on the 1903 'Air Service' model are both rare and finicky. They just aren't very reliable. Beyond that they made prone firing all but impossible.
    They did test a 15 rounder with the M1903A4, but donít think it made it past the prototype phase. Have seen drawings in one of the Springfield history books (want to say Poyerís), and it looked exactly half the length of the Air Service... with more rounded edges. Would be something interesting to try out.

Old War Horses that the Fathers of us old guys both fought with and against in WW II will always have a place in the armory. I never did understand some guys thinking guns were like Trout fishing with a creel limit. I still love the 1916. My Dad always loved the Mausers that hunted him in Europe.

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    Very Nice rifle build! IRC the Canadian Rangers are just giving up their Lee Enfields for a Tikka Bolt action in .308 with a detachable mag. I think they have used the Enfields since the end of WWII.
    They're not exactly an elite force, but the Enfield would seem to be entirely appropriate for the type of service they engage in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We don't have the Second Amendment because Bambi is coming.
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"

[QUOTE=kabar;1950691] They're not exactly an elite force, but the Enfield would seem to be entirely appropriate for the type of service they engage in. [/QUOTE]

I think they were kept in service for so long due to their reliability in the Canadian winters... The Danish Sirius Dog Sled Patrol in Greenland still use the M1917 for the same reason.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

I bought an Ishapore 2A1 from a forum member here. It was converted to a Jungle Carbine type configuration and it is an incredibly good shooting rifle. I recently bought a full size Ishapore with a peep sight on the barrel mounted rear sight. I havenít shot it yet but Iím looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
    I bought an Ishapore 2A1 from a forum member here. It was converted to a Jungle Carbine type configuration and it is an incredibly good shooting rifle. I recently bought a full size Ishapore with a peep sight on the barrel mounted rear sight. I haven’t shot it yet but I’m looking forward to it.

On Isaphores I would stick to nothing hotter than how the british and Indians loaded the 7.62x51. There there are some hot .308 commercial loads might be more than the enfield actions were rated for.