Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why vitamin pill could be bad for your

Years ago I listened to a lecture by Linus Pauling on Vitamin C and tried it like he said and it did not prevent me from getting flu.
    In some cases llarge does of Vitamin C and other antioxidants may be harmful in people that eat a complete diet. Link below for article explaining this point of view.

Why Vitamin Pills Don’t Work, and May Be Bad for You

We dose up on antioxidants as if they are the elixir of life. At best, they are probably ineffective. At worse, they may just send you to an early grave.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I tend to not put much faith in the BBC, as their content is controlled by the British Office of Communications and governments have a bad track record of pushing policy rather than facts.

My case in point, the FDA food pyramid:
    FGPLargeGIF.jpg
    Erik Maddocks
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    http://www.actajefferson.com
    https://www.facebook.com/acta.erikmadd/

I don't have the time or inclination to attempt to eat all my nutrition through food alone so I will continue to supplement. Secondly, you have to think about the sample of people they took for the study. Were they fit, with a good diet, or were they slovenly, lazy, and fat?

I will bet the latter, and over use of even vitamins can have adverse effects if all you're doing is storing it. As far as antioxidants, I eat a lot of meat and protein, which causes oxidation, which require antioxidants to stay healthy. In ACTIVE males the only real vitamin to watch out for is Iron. I pretty much think that whole article in bunk.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I don't have the time or inclination to attempt to eat all my nutrition through food alone so I will continue to supplement. Secondly, you have to think about the sample of people they took for the study. Were they fit, with a good diet, or were they slovenly, lazy, and fat?

I will bet the latter, and over use of even vitamins can have adverse effects if all you're doing is storing it. As far as antioxidants, I eat a lot of meat and protein, which causes oxidation, which require antioxidants to stay healthy. In ACTIVE males the only real vitamin to watch out for is Iron. I pretty much think that whole article in bunk.

Agreed, I will continue to take my vitamins.

Good responses and I find that lay people that have direct experience with health related issues and topics have important information and insight that is of great value. Nutrition is an ancient topic that the medical and the nutritional community is not in agreement about. Points of view seems to change with time just like fashions do. It is a topic that I need to study.

Certain cases, like large amounts of Vit A are well known to be toxic but the others I know little about.

from a summary of Vitamin toxicity as already posted by Greg
    Owing to their ability to accumulate in the body, fat-soluble vitamins have a higher potential for toxicity than do water-soluble vitamins. Iron-containing vitamins are the most toxic, especially in pediatric acute ingestions
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Here is the deal on Vit A toxicity. Trust me, you won't get it.

http://bestnaturalfoods.com/newslett...-too-much.html

After suffering intense headaches, vomiting, and having their skin peel off in sheets, it wasn’t long before Arctic explorers began to have doubts about a dietary mainstay: polar bear

Remeber, these are the same bastards who told us forever that we need a low fat high grain diet, which is total complete bullshit. This is the reason western society is physically dying. Be careful what you read and take as fact. Most of it, like this "study" is nonsense. ( I am being kind)

Quote Originally Posted by stankasz1 View Post
    Here is the deal on Vit A toxicity. Trust me, you won't get it.

http://bestnaturalfoods.com/newslett...-too-much.html

After suffering intense headaches, vomiting, and having their skin peel off in sheets, it wasn’t long before Arctic explorers began to have doubts about a dietary mainstay: polar bear
    The origin of the high quantities of Vit A in polar bear and seal comes from the marine life that they eat. I eat a lot of herring for omega-3s and I did check and while I am getting some Vit A IU units, the amount is ok. I do take standard vitamins either daily or every other day, but not in excessive amounts.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 12-18-2019 at 04:37 PM.

The article is pure conjecture garbage with a sensationalist headline. It says “it all went wrong” for Linus Pauling and his Vitamin C work but failed to give any evidence whatsoever. Vitamin C has never been found to be harmful in any way, and used in large enough quantities it can treat a huge amount of illnesses. It’s also been proven to boost the efficacy of chemotherapy drugs and significantly limit both the immediate negative effects including nausea, and the longer term damage chemo does to healthy tissue.

I’m not sure I’ve ever read a more ridiculous non-martial article on this forum. Vitamin C is water soluble and has no known toxicity level. I could go on but some simple google searches will help with even cursory reading. This article is clickbait, probably meets the definition of libel, and I’m more irritated than I should be, having read it as a result of this thread on WT of all places.

www.doctoryourself.com(no affiliation) has links to numerous books, research studies, and articles that will provide hours of reading materials.

Its all about how much you take:

"It is credited to Paracelsus who expressed the classic toxicology maxim "All things arepoison, and nothing is without*poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not apoison." This is often condensed to: "The dose makes the*poison" or in Latin, "Sola dosis facit venenum" "

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Warrior Skills Camp 09
    Fighting Rifle Skills
    Small Unit Tactics
    Close Range Gunfighting
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting
    0-5 gunfighting
    Advanced AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting
    Guerilla Sniper I
    CQB: Fighting in Structures