Default FROM ALMOST THREE YEARS AGO

74614870_400430897501647_154763945305964544_n.jpg

The image is a month old...the article is from 2017

The Components Of Fitness

Jack LaLanne: I don't care how old I live; I just want to be LIVING while I am living! I have friends of mine that are in their 80's and now they are in wheelchairs or they're getting Alzheimer's. Who wants that? It's terrible. I want to be able to do things; I want to look good; I don't want to be a drudge on my wife and my kids. And I want to get my message out to the people. I might live forever or it may seem like that. I tell people I can't afford to die; it will wreck my image!

To live well, you must be fit. And to be fit, you must seek the components of fitness. Seek? Yup...that means you have to get off your ass and go get them. Right there you lose half the audience.

First is strength. Strength takes precedence over everything else. Look at all the old people walking around. Do they look strong? If they did you probably would not have classified them as you did. Go lift something heavy. If you are not screaming it isn't heavy. Do it for five to eight reps. If you can do ten its too light. Drop it...catch your breath and do it again. Repeat three or four times.

Do something for legs, for pushing, for pulling, and for bending and hinging. Three times a week...so heavy you can't walk right for a few minutes. Strength will help you avoid injury during a fall...or a bar fight. It will help you to throw the drug dealer off the roof, or carry your wife to safety during a crisis. All men should be strong.

Next is explosiveness. To do that you need to sprint. Don't like it? To fracking bad...Do it! Find a hill and sprint up it as fast as you can without dying at the top. Once you reach the top, walk back down. Do that five to ten times in a row Do that on your non-heavy-lifting days. The guys that ell you that you must run for ten miles and weigh 110 pounds because its good for your heart...do you really want to look like them? Who do their wives look at by the pool? The marathon runners, or the guys that lift heavy shit and sprint?

Third is flexibility. Now I am not talking about VanDame's splits. I am talking about the ability to move quickly and in awkward ways without being injured. Sure some stretching fine, but I am more interested in how you move in a martial environment. Find a jujitsu club, a MMA school, even a Fencing academy and begin to move. Movement is life.

Fourth is aerobic capability. Funny how the Frank Shorter crowd wants to make this number one. It is not. But being able to run for three or five miles is important. Not all the time and certainly not at the expense of a strength day...but it needs to be done. Anyone doubting the importance of this should read, "The One That Got Away", by Chris Ryan. Ryan was the one member of Bravo Two Zero that did not need to be rescued.

Fifth is diet. Eat meat. Eat green stuff. Stay away from sugar. Stay away from potatoes and pasta and bread. Don't make excuses...just do it. Fat people will not be physically excellent, and diet is what differentiates lean from not lean. Lean is healthy and strong and fast and fat is not. Simple. Oh, and I have never met a healthy, strong vegan. I am not saying they do not exist...simply that I have never met one. I have met plenty of sickly, weak, and physically debilitated vegans however...as well as overweight ones. Simple...you wanna be prey or you wanna be predator. Eat like what you want to be.

Sixth is attitude. Attitude means that you are your own critic and judge. You are not subject to the criticisms of those who want to bring you a chocolate cake and who tell you you spent too much time in the gym. You are a constant reminder to them of their lack of resolve and discipline. You have a far higher calling than their nod of mediocre approval.

So...what are you waiting for. Get to it!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And avoid two things that will kill you: the TV and the easy chair.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Nice, great article, just as fitting years ago as it is now, and will be years from now.

That's one of the main reasons I come here, no BS, and the attitude. There's so damn many pussies out there anymore, I can't stand it. I'd post a pic of myself but I'm to freaking ugly, I am strong though!

Well done, thank you.

It's amazing how any people live long enough to be "old" but only a few of them ever learn enough to be "smart."

That old man is smart.

I think I'm Gabe's age. I'm no where close to being in as good a shape as he appears to be, but let me tell you something.

I hurt when I get into the car/truck to drive to the gym. I hurt when I get out of the car/truck at the gym. I hurt when I walk up the sidewalk to the gym.

I get inside, change clothes and walk up stairs to the machines. I guess my mind is somewhere else during that time because even though I'm conscious of sweating, of needing a drink(s) of water, I don't remember hurting when I'm upstairs working.

The best part of all is when I change clothes and walk back to the car/truck I'm not hurting anymore. I feel tired, I'm sweaty, I'm thirsty, but I don't hurt. I haven't really got to the point where I'm addicted to it yet. I was addicted to running when I was in my mid 20's. Couldn't sit, couldn't got to bed, just couldn't keep my mind on studying for the next day's exams - unless I ran first. Some nights I'd run, come back to the dorm room, sit down to cool off and study and have to get up and go run again. I haven't gotten to that point with the gym yet. I don't know if that happens from working out like it did, for me, with running. I guess I'll find out over the next few months.

Today was the first time since high school
    that I have been in a gym ( to work out).
    I'm down 60 pounds since 2 years ago,
    but my diet based weight loss has plateaued
    so it's time to get this done. Our son is in Boy
    Scouts & has a trip planned to Philmont this
    summer. I can't expect him to get in
    shape for that, and not hold myself to
    the same standard.

I have been really amping up my shooting
    skills, so I need the endurance & cardio to
    make it more than just a hobby, as I under-
    stand my I am responsible for the safety &
    welfare for my wife & son.

Thanks to Gabe & SI for helping to raise
    the bar a little higher for me. I need the
    accountability.

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.