Default Roles for the Tac 14 vs. Tac 13

Hey guys. About a year ago I picked up a Tac 14 from a friend. I have fitted it with SIís fixed arm brace, side saddle, and RMR mount as well as an Inforce WML Haley for use as a home defense weapon. A couple months ago, I stumbled across a smoking good deal on a Tac 13 and snatched it up. I then purchased a top rail (to mount a Holosun) and side saddle from SI.

Essentially, I intend to have either the Tac 13 or Tac 14 set up for home defense (brace, light, and maybe side saddle) while the other will be much more streamlined (bird's head grip and probably only the red dot) for the truck and/or as a more portable option.

My question is, do you have any thoughts as to which platform is more suited or preferable for the home defense setup mentioned above vs. the streamlined setup? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.
    It's not rocket surgery.

It is nice to have options. That said, I would consider the following:

TAC13: best suited for home environment. While they have proven to be reliable auto-loaders, it is still an auto-loader and has the potential to be less reliable than the pump. Further, in the home defense role you are less likely to have the need or desire to switch between multiple ammunition types. Also, your home is probably cleaner than your truck, further removing the potential for reliability issues. Find a good quality #4 Buckshot, pattern the gun and align the red-dot and then largely forget it except for practice.

TAC14: pinnacle of reliability. I agree with the minimalist setup and think this is optimized for the truck. I too use only the “pistol grip”. I believe you should run a sling on the gun. Carry two types of shell - either 00 or #4 Buck (depending on your AO) and slug. Know where each prints and practice frequently. I carry both ammo types in a shoulder bag (in my case 00 and Slug) and keep a couple of extra pistol mags and the rest of my “get home kit” that is always present in the truck. The TAC14 is always reliable, easy to swap shells as needed, and is alway GTG in the truck. If you want to further invest in it, have SI set you up with a rifle sighted barrel and coat it in NP3. Mine has been outstanding and has well over 2K of 12 ga shot shells through it (and has been shot from zero feet to well over 150 yards).

Do an SI shotgun class if possible to make sure you are optimized yourself.

ChrisNobody

Excellent advice. Thank you!

In fact, you mentioning that "your home is probably cleaner than your truck" is something I never thought about.
    It's not rocket surgery.

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015